Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant that I've never seen an all red Brahma, but I don't get out much either.
roll.png

Not in this barnyard. Buckeyes are too high maintenance. I don't have the time to measure millimeters of undercolor on each feather and such ......but you let me know how it works out for you.
lau.gif
Ah, the dark underside of high stakes Buckeye breeding. I did see some some impressive bantam Buckeye cockerels at the swap yesterday, as much as I know of Buckeyes.

I have some issues with my Brahma chicks. I don't know if this is normal. My chicks have trouble pooping. I have to clean then so they can poop. I don't think Its normal. I am giving then starter and water with vitamins I got from the feed store. Of the 10 I got I still have 10 . I don't plan on loosing any of them.

I have some issues with my Brahma chicks. I don't know if this is normal. My chicks have trouble pooping. I have to clean then so they can poop. I don't think Its normal. I am giving then starter and water with vitamins I got from the feed store. Of the 10 I got I still have 10 . I don't plan on loosing any of them.
Search 'pasty butt' for a lot of reading on this subject. In the meantime be sure to keep their vents clean or they could die. Dirty feathers are OK as long as the vent is clear. I've found that it stops in a few days with no treatment other than wiping butts as long as they have good food and clean water.

Search 'pasty butt' for a lot of reading on this subject. In the meantime be sure to keep their vents clean or they could die. Dirty feathers are OK as long as the vent is clear. I've found that it stops in a few days with no treatment other than wiping butts as long as they have good food and clean water.

That is what I have been doing. Some of then had it real bad most were fine. I still check on them. One looks a little weak. Hope he recovers. All the other chicks are doing fine.

I clean them all up, then put ACV in the water. Also if you put a little olive oil around there butts to help the poo not stick.This usually clears them right up.

A teaspoon of unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar in a quart plastic waterer does seem to help. Pasty butt is common with shipped chicks and even with some weaker chicks who don't suffer from shipping stress.

Quote: I've been thinking about this and maybe I've been too harsh in my opinion of Buckeye breeders....maybe they've really got it goin on! They only have the one color to work with so they can be more exacting about that color. I wonder what Brahmas would look like today if there had only ever been one color to work with?

I think when anyone chooses one or maybe two varieties to concentrate on, ...those varieties naturally improve. Lots of people new to Brahmas and even chickens for that matter.....decide a (fill in your own variety) "Brahma" would be SOOOOO PRETTY! They cross a Brahma on to a cochin or whatever breed has that variety. Hatch the first batch of eggs and sell them as " whatever Brahmas", Oh and did I mention they are "SUPER RARE"? The gullible snatch them up and continue the degredation, selling birds and eggs that are no more Brahma than a modern game is. Type is paramount. A bird has to have BRAHMA type to be a Brahma. Otherwise, its just a pretty bird.

Tim

I think when anyone chooses one or maybe two varieties to concentrate on, ...those varieties naturally improve. Lots of people new to Brahmas and even chickens for that matter.....decide a (fill in your own variety) "Brahma" would be SOOOOO PRETTY! They cross a Brahma on to a cochin or whatever breed has that variety. Hatch the first batch of eggs and sell them as " whatever Brahmas", Oh and did I mention they are "SUPER RARE"? The gullible snatch them up and continue the degredation, selling birds and eggs that are no more Brahma than a modern game is. Type is paramount. A bird has to have BRAHMA type to be a Brahma. Otherwise, its just a pretty bird.

Tim
I wasn't really thinking about the 'new colors' but I'm sure there are some that meet, or with good breeding will soon meet, the standard. I was actually thinking about 'lights' and the undercolor in the lights. It seems (in my limited experience) that there are three undercolors in the lights. If we can't even decide what's 'right' concerning the proper color in lights (like the Buckeye people have) then where is this breed going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom