Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a Boy , why did you want 12 males and 3 females ? 

I was wondering that too XD

Here are my 2 week old chicks. I think they are doing great!

Had a question about LB eggs. They been laying now a little over a week. Still getting soft eggs they are dropping at night. There's Leghorns in with them that started laying at the same time. All the leghorn eggs are fine. So I know it's the Brahmas. Could be some are just starting. They all eat the same laying feed. FF. And have oyster shells. Which they don't like. LOL. Just wondering if the LB's eggs take more time to harden up, I guess is the question.

Thanks

I'm not Tim obviously, but I really like the pattern on the two hens, nice and clean, and even some lacing on the main tails, they look ok as far as top line goes too, perhaps a bit too much cushion on the one in the 4th picture down. The males pictured, can't see much type on the one that is drinking, the one in first picture has too high of a tail angle. How is their head width? Color looks good to me, but it's always perilous to judge buff color from a photo as everyone's monitors are different.
It may be that she was hunkering down on the 4th pic. I am going to take separate pictures of each one this weekend. The first picture is one we had got off a guy here locally a few years ago- don't know his blood lines. The others are from Dick. We were trying to decide on which roo to keep with the hens to produce the best stock so- Butterball (the first roo) is out. What do I need to look for in the width of the head?

Had a question about LB eggs. They been laying now a little over a week. Still getting soft eggs they are dropping at night. There's Leghorns in with them that started laying at the same time. All the leghorn eggs are fine. So I know it's the Brahmas. Could be some are just starting. They all eat the same laying feed. FF. And have oyster shells. Which they don't like. LOL. Just wondering if the LB's eggs take more time to harden up, I guess is the question. Thanks
I would be concerned that she has soft eggs regardless of whether she just started laying or not. I have never had first time eggs be soft- usually its just a fluke or deficiency.

Some say weather and stress can have an effect. Don't know which ones are doing it. I just moved them to a new spot and house when they started. Or I might have to go back to layena feed. Trying now layer feed from Southern States.

Quote: Keep a boy get some same Breed hens Many people let them go after 1 or 2 yrs let one of your boys fertilize the eggs and get a bator or most breeds start going broody at 2 yrs of age . then you wont need hatchery any more . I just tested out second roo for fertility and Man oh man he has it LOL .

Mixed chicks as i am going to use him with Partons My main roos off spring for genetic diversity . and just have a egg pen as well as the 2 brahma pens . chicks are just so fun.

It may be that she was hunkering down on the 4th pic. I am going to take separate pictures of each one this weekend. The first picture is one we had got off a guy here locally a few years ago- don't know his blood lines. The others are from Dick. We were trying to decide on which roo to keep with the hens to produce the best stock so- Butterball (the first roo) is out. What do I need to look for in the width of the head?
I would keep the first male and the best of the other two. Breed two pairs and you will have a bit more genetic diversity rather than breeding one male to two females. There are things I really like about the first male. His tail looks wide blown...the desired inverted "U" the standard describes. additionally I like his WIDE main tail feathers. Feather width is much to be desired in my opinion. He is a bit short, the female length should take care of that. The way he is standing could make him look shorter than he is( I should specify i'm reffering to length). I do like the females. Matt is correct, their top line is a bit poofy, cochin like. Those are coverts that are laced. The mains are supposed to be solid black, only the top two mains are to be laced. I think they could use a bit more length in the tail mains as the are pretty much hidden.
You have a good start. I would breed from two pairs though. Hatch as many as you can handle. Mark the birds from each mating. Do you know Chris Beeler? He is in Tennessee. He has good buffs and would be willing to help you out.
Sorry It took so long to reply. I've been out of pocket.

Tim

Thank you Matt and Tim, as always your opinions are highly valued. What part of TN is Chris in?
Not sure. We email and PM over on Showbirdbid . He will be at most Tennessee shows. He's a Baptist Preacher. I have his address somewhere. I sent him some eggs in the Spring. I'm on my Son's laptop so my addresses are not here.

Tim

I have a new batch of chicks, of which I ordered more brahmas because I love them, and I decided to try a couple dark brahmas this time. I notice that they are way behind in maturity compared to the light brahma chicks. Is this normal? I remember from my last brahma chicks I had that the one chick that was the slowest to mature/feather out ended up being a rooster (not that I mind, the roosters are gorgeous).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom