Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice going and so early in the year.  Mine are not doing that well. NW Pacific climes.  I get 6/day from 8 hens.  I have never seen such a diversified flock and elegant at that.   I have a lavender and morans, chantecler, wellsummer, red comets, and an americauna.  How did you start it?  this spring I have a light brahma, jersey giant, and 2 barred rocks all 3 weeks old now.  the light brahma is such a character too : )

Was this meant for me

I'm introducing early this time too. It is hard. I keep the chooks in a cage in their run most of the time. I'll open the door and let them out when I have the time to sit there and referee. So far, no serious problems. One hen chases them, but she's big and not fast enough to catch them. Occasionally, they get cornered by her and then she'll give them a little peck. My rooster and most of the other hens completely ignore them (although they are terrified of him because of his size). My new coop set up will be better for them, all of the chooks will go in their own coop/run right next to the hens until I can sex them. Then, I'll put the pullets with the hens and the cockerels will move to the other side of the condo until I decide what to do with them.

Yeah, I find this integration thing really tiresome. I should probably buy some silkie eggs so that I don't have to do it anymore....let momma handle it!

today we let some of the big girls go in. They just wanted to eat the chick starter ... otherwise it was a good introduction to the new facility..LOL
wee.gif

Today LaLa honked and honked til I checked her out, I thought she was choking, but she was moving a snake across the back yard onto the patio along with ChaCha and the other hens til they got it cornered at corner of back of house ...OMG!
I was able to get it into a container using a broom...so glad it wasn't a Rattler...looks like a Gardner, but I'm waiting til later to take a picture..I don't want to lift the lid..:)
duc.gif

This is what my Guard Brahmas herded in from the yard to the patio Honking all the way in...hahahaha We relocated it to the bottom of the hill....great for Rodents...
lau.gif
D.gif

today we let some of the big girls go in. They just wanted to eat the chick starter ... otherwise it was a good introduction to the new facility..LOL
wee.gif
Sounds like a successful day! Today was a me day, didn't do any work on the new coop. I'll pay for it tomorrow. I have my plan of attack in place and by Sunday, everyone should be in the new condo together (except the roos). I also have a batch hatching on Saturday~Sunday, so I'm going to be one busy girl this weekend.

Congrats on a successful introduction!
ya.gif

This is what my Guard Brahmas herded in from the yard to the patio Honking all the way in...hahahaha We relocated it to the bottom of the hill....great for Rodents...
lau.gif
D.gif

Good thing that you had those guard chickens around! Looks like a rat snake to me, but either way, it is good for rodent control! Can you imagine what that poor snake was thinking when it had all of those chickens after it! I'm thinking it was wondering why it thought your backyard would be a good idea (by the way, they love to eat eggs).

clap.gif

Good thing that you had those guard chickens around! Looks like a rat snake to me, but either way, it is good for rodent control! Can you imagine what that poor snake was thinking when it had all of those chickens after it! I'm thinking it was wondering why it thought your backyard would be a good idea (by the way, they love to eat eggs).

clap.gif

Exactly! LOL

clap.gif

I'll have to look up what a Rat Snake looks like...I've only seen Garter/Gopher snakes and Rattle Snakes and King Snakes umpteen years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom