Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Great thread...love all the pics. I'm new to the Light Brahmas, but am really enjoying them! They are incredibly sweet and a lot of fun. I obtained them from our local Rural King and wasn't sure how things would turn out. I did a lot of research on them prior to purchasing and they have not let me down. They are all feathered out and I'm working on integrating them into my current flock...not looking forward to that...lol! They are doing well out in the backyard together, but the real test is when we're all cooped up...gonna put them in at night.
wink.png

Quote:
I have never seen a Bantam Dark with a "good" Brahma head. I'm certainly not a genetics expert, but I would imagine it would require crossing to a super typed bird of one of the other varieties, or maybe a silver penciled wyandotte. I bet Big Medicine would be able to point us in the right direction. I bet it would take a pretty serious time investment. Maybe he will see this and comment. He is THE genetics man.

Not hardly, just too stubborn to quite easily sometimes.

Playing around with Henk's calculator, If you would put a dark male over a light hen, should produce males it calls black patterned silver columbians, and females it calls black patterned silver (incomplete) columbian. If you would then breed the best built chicks to each other, almost 20% of their chicks should come out dark. If I'm reading this right in three generations you would be back to almost 1 out of 5 chicks being dark. Also comes out the same % with a light male and dark female. Sounds too easy, surely someone would have been doing this to improve heads and hocks. I suspect the quality of the penciling may take a little work to get all the way back.

If you put a dark male over a buff hen, and follow the above, by the 3rd generation you should have about 9% of chicks showing dark, but possibly complicating things with a chance of buff/gold carryover or bleed through in the males, I would suspect.

Last edited:
yeah we figured it would have to be something like that, thanks for confirming our suspicion and helping us out. We plan on spending a bit of time trying to perfect them, no idea how long that will take, hope it's like getting to the center of a Tootsie pop. owl style

First pics of my new baby BUFF LACED BRAHMAS from Dan Powell !!!, almost five months old - I can't wait till they grow, I'm practicing patience!
smile.png

41441_blb1.jpg

I've seen pictures of some full grown versions of those they eventually turn out to be absolutely fantastic!, now if only they were in the breed standard. well only one way to get them there!

cherylcohen You have beautiful chickens! Wow! I have buff roo's and I'm getting light hens. Wonder if my chickies will come out looking like that!
wink.png
Guess I can only hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom