Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You should definately post some pics! ill get some of one of my light pullets.
- Zach

Hey Joe, I have some pretty good of both. I ended up hatching about 75 lights. I have a few males I really like. Several of the males have too much black in the breast. Overall the females seem pretty good. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them. What about the buffs? Any good ones?

Tim

Joe, its that time of year where I ALWAYS panic-every year! One day I think the birds look great and the next-not so good???? I always joke that I have Bi-polar coop blindness. I honestly think I have a few of each that are pretty good. I have some P's of both varieties that have the nice wide inverted "U" tail I like, with good width from front to back, head included, with good color. I hatched several females(both varieties) with excess black in the saddle area-with excellent type. I will save these for male breeders, and sell a few of them as breeder birds. I think this type of bird is a must to insure good saddle color in males.
Hatched a TON of light males.(maybe 45) Some are very good. A LOT of them had WAY too much black in breast, I put five of them in the freezer this morning. I hatched some with some black in breast that I will retain as female breeders, and sell a few as breeders.
I did not hatch as many Buff males as I wanted too. Just 35 buffs TOTAL. I have a couple of Buff males that look good for show birds. I stll have a bunch of buffs that are a little too young to tell. I may have to pick up a breeder male or two from Chad. He told me he had hatched some pretty good buff males.

Its so stinking hot here I can't really get a good photo. None of the birds want to hold their wings up high like they are supposed to.

I think next spring I will try to pay closer attention to my matings and hatch fewer birds. I'm just not set up to hatch hundreds of birds like some breeders do. I am hoping that with closer attention to detail I can hatch high quality birds with a smaller hatch. I will also like to explore what might cause the lower fertility rate in the buffs. Possibly an introduction of a little light blood into my Buff line?? I had more Buff breeder Birds this past spring than lights, yet hatched less than half buff chicks as lights? Any ideas on that? I'm open to suggestions.

I hope you can make Crossroads.

Tim

This is not really a reply and the first time that I have posted on here. Some of you may know me but most probably don't. If you visit the Brahma Club website you have probably already seen this but I'm trying to put this out to all Brahma breeders. Spence/Williams Brahma bantam flock will be liquidated at the combined national in Indy this year. I would like to avoid trying to reserve any birds or save any to bring home to be shipped later. I just want to end this project in one fatal swoop. There will be nothing but the best of what is left of this great flock of bantam Buffs and Lights at Indy that includes young birds and some older breeder birds. I would be glad to entertain any questions. You can reach me through my email and that can be found at the Brahma Club website officers page.

Thanks
Chad Spence

I at the moment will be showing at Crossroads and I cant wait to be at the show. I will have better wyandottes rather than brahma just because I lost almost all my breeding stock.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I do not where else to post?

I have: a pen of Light Brahmas with 2 hens/1 rooster-20 chicks out of 23 eggs over the last 2 1/2 months

pen of Buff Brahmas with 5 hens/2 roosters-2 chicks out of 35 eggs over the last 2 1/2 months (last season 5 chicks out of 11 eggs)

pen of Dark Brahmas with 2 hens/1 rooster-0 chicks out of 43 eggs over the last 2 1/2 months

I see all of the roosters breeding the hens, I trimmed the vent area on all of the hens, what am I doing wrong or is it the roosters?

Thanks,

Quote:
Joe, save your money and get a couple of Chad's birds. Great opportunity!

njeggvt,
I'm sorry, but I don't have a good answer. My experience pretty much mirrors yours. My Lights have excellent fertility, my buffs not so good. I have no experience with darks. My lights and buffs are bantams. You did not say what yours are.

Tim

This thread is increasingly popping up so I thought I'd throw in my two cents and proclaim my admiration for these awesome beautiful goofball Brahmas of mine, they've definitely become my favorite of all the breeds we have (although someone told me that the Marans I got the other day are sure to replace them - that would be quite a feat though, only time will tell). Belle and Buttercup, light and buff, named by my daughters, are now about nine weeks and getting friendlier every day:

94749_buttercup_buff_brahma_2.jpg

94749_hot_chicks.jpg

94749_bell.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom