Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have always heard about you and have seen your birds for years Chad(Spence). Have always admired your birds and I am glad to say I have two of your Buff pullets and have hatched out about a dozen birds this year. I talked with you a little bit at the Brazos Valley show this year, enjoyed the conversation.
I am sorry to hear that you are liquidating your Brahma flock, they have been a standard of excellence for many years. I hope all is well with you and your family also.
John

Quote:
how old are they? one year, two? - It seems it may be the roosters, either they aren't very fertile or they aren't breeding correctly... Suggestion would be learn to AI and AI your hens, incubate those eggs and see if you have similar results. If you do, I would suggest new roosters. If not, you may just need to invest some time next season in AI'ing your girls if you really like your roos.

Also try trimming the roo's vent area as well, I know in cochins all that fluff on both male/female causes alot of problems, the roo tries to do his job but it all just gets in the way and his...product is wasted.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Here are my beautiful Brahma girls...They are 2 days from 19 weeks and I am waiting for my first eggs. They are not as red in the face as the BR's but I think they will be laying right after the BR's in a couple weeks.

Olga and Ursula at 2 week.
82702_olga_2_wks.jpg

82702_ursula_2_wks.jpg

4 Weeks
82702_ursula_4_wks_2.jpg

82702_olga_4_wks_2.jpg

7 weeks
82702_7_weeks_1st_day_in_coop2.jpg

18 weeks
82702_dsc_0017.jpg

82702_dsc_0015.jpg

Quote:
The only brahmas I have experience with are dark bantams and can also have trouble with fertility. In my opinion, some of the things that effect fertiltiy/breeding in my birds are temperature, space, feed, and oddly the length of the roosters spur. My birds tend to breed the best if they have access to lots of room and green grass. When I first got the birds I was having terrible fertility and I THINK it was due to my roosters spurs. The spurs were over 3 inches on each leg and he couldnt get the job done. After removing the spurs the rooster was a totally different bird and fertility has been great ever since.

Quote:
how old are they? one year, two? - It seems it may be the roosters, either they aren't very fertile or they aren't breeding correctly... Suggestion would be learn to AI and AI your hens, incubate those eggs and see if you have similar results. If you do, I would suggest new roosters. If not, you may just need to invest some time next season in AI'ing your girls if you really like your roos.

Also try trimming the roo's vent area as well, I know in cochins all that fluff on both male/female causes alot of problems, the roo tries to do his job but it all just gets in the way and his...product is wasted.
hide.gif

Thanks - I took your advice & finished trimming this morning

Quote:
The only brahmas I have experience with are dark bantams and can also have trouble with fertility. In my opinion, some of the things that effect fertiltiy/breeding in my birds are temperature, space, feed, and oddly the length of the roosters spur. My birds tend to breed the best if they have access to lots of room and green grass. When I first got the birds I was having terrible fertility and I THINK it was due to my roosters spurs. The spurs were over 3 inches on each leg and he couldnt get the job done. After removing the spurs the rooster was a totally different bird and fertility has been great ever since.

Thanks - I will try that

Not sure if this is the proper place for this question, but in the past I posted elsewhere and no one responded. Let's hope it goes better here.

How much larger are standard sized brahmas, relative to the typical dual purpose bird, such as wyandotte or plymouth rock? How well do they lay, relative to rocks and wyandottes? What size nestbox do they need?

I currently have a mixed flock of various standard sized dual purpose birds (no standared brahmas), and a few bantam brahma hens. The bantams lay OK, but not as well as the larger birds. I have wanted to get standard sized brahmas, but worry that they won't fit comfortably in my nestboxes, and that they won't lay well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom