Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok awesome thnx..

So how do I improve my width on body & head if I don't really had wide heads that I need. How long will it take to get the wide heads that I need if I use the birds I have now? Nobody has any males that I can buy that has them..
Please any help would be great.

Large Brahmas are very slow to mature. Mark Peterson, in an article he wrote in the ABC handbook, says two full years. Your birds may just be immature. Also the heads on big birds don't look so freakishly massive as on Bantams. All that being said.....if your birds truly do lack width, it won't magically appear. You will have to get a bird in that does. Not necessarily a male, a female would do the same thing. Be patient, give the birds time to mature. If age does not correct the type issues, pick up a bird or two in the fall.

From reading your posts and corresponding with you, I gather patience may be an issue for you. To be successful in exhibition poultry you will have to learn/develop patience. Improvements can be made every year. However, it can take generations of birds to get to where you want to be. Once you get there, there are ALWAYS things that can be improved. Enjoy the process. Pairing, breeding, hatching, raising, conditioning, showing, meeting and forming friendships with other breeders. I will say Large birds require more patience than bantams as bantams are much quicker to mature. Did you ask Darlene how old your birds are?

Tim Lindenborn

If there was a thumbs down button I would use it. It amazes me that people have to be so rude on the internet. Rose, don't let the previous comment bother you. I have also been reading your posts and it sounds to me that your just trying to get advice from other breeders. Sometimes you just have to ignore negative people.

You asked for someone's opinion and his information is dead on! You may not alway's like what someone says or how they say it as long as it's accurate. Everybody put your big boy pants on and pay attention you may learn something! And that's all that really matters in the end, isn't it!

the ones are from darlene are about 3 or 4 weeks LF. But I also have bantams that I am working on. I do have patience I just want to make sure I am heading in the right way. I have plan to line breed by separating my girls & putting male to them & keep good records. My thing is What should my records look like for each bird or how do I go about it?

If there was a thumbs down button I would use it. It amazes me that people have to be so rude on the internet. Rose, don't let the previous comment bother you. I have also been reading your posts and it sounds to me that your just trying to get advice from other breeders. Sometimes you just have to ignore negative people.

I don't think Tim63 was being rude at all. I think he was simply giving his (very informed) opinion and input about a breed that he has raised for years. If anyone has a negative mindset I believe it's you.

You asked for someone's opinion and his information is dead on! You may not alway's like what someone says or how they say it as long as it's accurate. Everybody put your big boy pants on and pay attention you may learn something! And that's all that really matters in the end, isn't it!

x2.
thumbsup.gif

If you got Brahmas from Darlene you should be ok. It does take a long time to be able to tell about the big lights. Rule of thumb to keep in mind:" you can't improve a trait unless you have something to improve it with".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom