Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my buff brahma pullets disappeared tonight. I don't know what to think. The other chickens weren't very concerned. When I lost an EE last spring to a hawk, the entire mixed flock was in a panic and wouldn't come out of their coop for days. My brahmas seem pretty calm. I found a pile of down feathers, which makes me think molt more than predator, but no body. It's very weird.

Heres 2 month old Dan Powell GLB chick. I don't know how to tell the sex with the gold/silver laced Brahmas yet. Anyone have any clue? Does it have vulture hocks? Not really sure what that means either.

Heres 2 month old Dan Powell GLB chick.
I don't know how to tell the sex with the gold/silver laced Brahmas yet. Anyone have any clue?

Does it have vulture hocks? Not really sure what that means either.
Looks like a boy to me. Does it have a single comb?

Looks like a boy to me.  Does it have a single comb?

What makes you say that?
No, I think it has a pea comb if I'm corret. They CAN have pea combs right?
I originally thought it was a boy also but its been acting very "girlish". Never challenges anybody, runs when it gets picked on.

What are the differentiating characteristics that determine sex on the gold and silver laced brahmas?
I have other younger chicks I would like to sex or look for signs of sex soon with them.

We just got a pair of 6 month old Bantan Buff Brahmas...they are the sweetest birds ever! hadn't been handled a lot before today and the roo was being handled like he was ready for a showmanship class in an hour. The hen a little more timid, but still very accepting of attention and tolerant.
I'll get some good pics tomorrow to see what everyone thinks!
These will be my girls' show chickens. I havent decided what I want to do yet.

Leisa

What makes you say that?
I originally thought it was a boy also but its been acting very "girlish". Never challenges anybody, runs when it gets picked on.
What are the differentiating characteristics that determine sex on the gold and silver laced brahmas?
I have other younger chicks I would like to sex or look for signs of sex soon with them.
They should have peacombs. His is already getting red and the way he is feathering in makes me think boy.

What makes you say that?
If Golden Laced Brahma and any thing like GL Wayandottes or Cochins, you won't be able to tell sex by the feathering until they are a little older. The girls get the lacing on the shoulders and the boys don't. For that one it is still to early to tell by the feathering but the comb is looking a bit red.

I'd say male, but a nice bird. I've had a lot of Brahmas over the years of various types and those who have blocks of colour over the wings at this stage usually turn out to be male.
Also for a Brahma there is significant comb development.
I hope I'm wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom