Brand New Chicker (?!) w/ Rescued Ladies

Leha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
We recently rescued some ladies and we have no idea what they are.. some folks have suggested what they might be.. but I thought I might ask fellow chickers what they think.

This is Helen, she's all black with a peacock green sheen in the light.

This is Reba (I know, awful picture!) and we're pretty sure she's a Rhode Island Red.

Lastly, this is Stella (Barred Plymouth Rock?) and Betty. Stella is the head of the pecking order and Betty is the bottom of the pecking order. (She's also the smallest of the birds). She was picked on really bad by the other birds and has an area above her tail/on her back that is missing feathers and such. As well, her face almost looks like her cowl and whatnot have been completely pecked off. She also has this weird tumor looking growth on her neck.. and while I would normally not think anything, it seems to bother her.. as she shakes and wiggles 5x as much as the other birds. One of my friends that also takes care of chickens said she looks perfectly healthy, but something about it makes me wonder.

Anyways, thanks so much for everyone that takes the time to help us figure this out! I'm still reeling over how I was able to get bamboozled into rescuing these ladies, but I do love them now that we have them. :)

Last edited:
What color are Helen's feet bottoms? Reba look like a rir, Stella also looks like a barred rock. Betty is a easter egger/ ee. The "cowl" is called muffs and "the tumor" is called a beard. Both which are mostly just feathers, the beard is a little bit of flabby skin if you ever get to see one missing it's beard feathers. Good luck with them and
welcome-byc.gif

What color are Helen's feet bottoms?

I would say they're grayish with hints of dark brown.

Reba look like a rir,

Rhode Island Red, check! :)

Stella also looks like a barred rock.

Barred Rock, check! :)

Betty is a easter egger/ ee. The "cowl" is called muffs and "the tumor" is called a beard. Both which are mostly just feathers, the beard is a little bit of flabby skin if you ever get to see one missing it's beard feathers.

Wow! I so didn't see that one coming! We were just talking about how I didn't know if I could bring myself to eat a blue egg, even if it's only the shell. Guess I'll find out! LOL!

Good luck with them and :welcome .

Thank you SO much! I just love how helpful everyone is! I only wish I had found this site before I started buying stuff I didn't need!

What color are Helen's feet bottoms? Reba look like a rir, Stella also looks like a barred rock. Betty is a easter egger/ ee. The "cowl" is called muffs and "the tumor" is called a beard. Both which are mostly just feathers, the beard is a little bit of flabby skin if you ever get to see one missing it's beard feathers. Good luck with them and
welcome-byc.gif
X2
I would say they're grayish with hints of dark brown.
Rhode Island Red, check!
smile.png

Barred Rock, check!
smile.png

Wow! I so didn't see that one coming! We were just talking about how I didn't know if I could bring myself to eat a blue egg, even if it's only the shell. Guess I'll find out! LOL!
Thank you SO much! I just love how helpful everyone is! I only wish I had found this site before I started buying stuff I didn't need!
There is no garuantee she will lay a blue egg. EEs can lay any color of egg. BTW all eggs taste the same regardless of shell color. The only thing that will affect taste is diet and if they are on any meds.

X2
There is no garuantee she will lay a blue egg. EEs can lay any color of egg. BTW all eggs taste the same regardless of shell color. The only thing that will affect taste is diet and if they are on any meds. 

Oh I know about the eggs color and taste.. I would just know in the back of my mind that it was a colored shell. It was more of a joke statement. Haha! I didn't know they could lay multiple colors. I had only seen blue eggs in regards to what EE's eggs look like, so thanks for the heads up! :)

Oh I know about the eggs color and taste.. I would just know in the back of my mind that it was a colored shell. It was more of a joke statement. Haha! I didn't know they could lay multiple colors. I had only seen blue eggs in regards to what EE's eggs look like, so thanks for the heads up!
smile.png
One chicken will only lay one color for their whole life, but they could lay pink, blue, green, white, and so on

One chicken will only lay one color for their whole life, but they could lay pink, blue, green, white, and so on

Right after learning she was an EE, she laid her first egg since coming to live here. She lays green eggs. Oh the jokes that ensued with that one! LOL!

Still trying to figure out what Helen is.. her breast has a red sheen to it, while her back and wing feathers have a peacock green sheen and her legs are the grayish/black. From what we can tell, she lays speckled eggs.. but yesterday, our first brown egg with white speckles showed up. Previously, we had received brown eggs with dark brown speckles (they were very faint, but when you rinsed the egg off, they showed up very dark)

So we're 100% sure the light brown eggs are from Stella (BR), and our green eggs are from Betty (EE), but we aren't sure who is laying the brown w/ white speckles and the brown w/ dark speckles. The only two chickens left are Reba (RIR) and Helen (Unknown). So we're still hoping for some wonderful input from our fellow BYCers! :)

Back
Top Bottom