Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Anybody on here interested in getting 'together' so to speak and see if we can this breed accepted as a recognized breed?
That means having/breeding/showing them for 5 years. We need 5 breeders and in the end have 50 birds together for a panel of APA judges. It will involve a lot of time , dedication and some money. Think it cost about $125 to get the judges to come out. Am not sure about all the details but think that is it in a nutshell.
Would love for this majestic bird to gain in popularity and see it in the book of Standard!

Before you start writing your own APA standard, you may want to contact the BKU club and request their standard for the Breda Gueldrein. It could save a lot of time. As of 2010 the club secretary's contact information was listed as follows:

Secratary: Gerard Vermaas
Prinsenlaan 6
NL 3442 CE Woerden
Tel.: 0031-348414813
E -mail: [email protected]

-or- [email protected]

The BKU published a 150 page breeders guild in 2010 with information how to breed the Breda Gueldrein titled Herenhoenders. That seems like it would be good to get if you are going to try to write a standard. You may have to have the BKU club ship you the book. I am not sure if it is available in English, but I am sure that is would still be worth it.

Wouldn't think of writing my own APA standards! Only would go by the Dutch Standard, also do that with the Barnevelders that we breed.
We are already members of the BKU club and own that book, so we are going in the right direction :)
We got or eggs of Ebay last year and the birds are still young but looking very good so far.

Oh...I didn't realize that you couldn't keep roosters, that does drive the supply way..way..way down. Yes...I second what DSFRANGO said. There may not be a dozen people that are willing to pay what they are worth, but you should be able to find one.

Since you have more cockerels available than pullets you might have better lucky selling them as a group than breaking them up.

That's a good idea. We're right on the county line & the next county can have any type of livestock as long as they don't have an HOA. We're really on the outskirts of town in the suburbs, but it's technically in city limits. I was hoping someone with some land wanted them. I put I was willing to sell them individually if someone just wanted a girl.

All the cockerals that can't be rehomed by the time they're crowing have to go to freezer camp, but REALLY don't want to do this to my Breda, they're too pretty to eat!!!

Good luck with the Breda APA quest. I don't show so I don't know anything about any of that. I do love Breda though!

Before you start writing your own APA standard, you may want to contact the BKU club and request their standard for the Breda Gueldrein. It could save a lot of time. As of 2010 the club secretary's contact information was listed as follows:

Secratary: Gerard Vermaas
Prinsenlaan 6
NL 3442 CE Woerden
Tel.: 0031-348414813
E -mail: [email protected]

-or- [email protected]

The BKU published a 150 page breeders guild in 2010 with information how to breed the Breda Gueldrein titled Herenhoenders. That seems like it would be good to get if you are going to try to write a standard. You may have to have the BKU club ship you the book. I am not sure if it is available in English, but I am sure that is would still be worth it.

I might also suggest that the British standard for this breed be considered as a basis for possible APA standards. There are several APA judges that do not like standards that come from most European countries, but have no problem with using a British standard as a base. They are nearly one and the same anyway. :)
I'd be willing to support a group working towards gaining APA acceptance for our precious Breda, but would not be able to show as from where I live, the nearest poultry shows are at least an 8 hour drive one way. No way I could be away from the ranch long enough to do overnights and such, being disabled has it's problem points. :) Willing to sign any and all paperwork needed to prove breeding time..................I've got 4 different lines, have already been breeding them for 3 years, have color projects going on, am working with a large flock here, possibly the largest in the US at this time. So willing to assist in whatever way needed. :)

Doc

If you have the Dutch standard, reference books, etc. Then sure.

It seems that getting good information out to breeders would be a good idea. :)

I don't have a lot of time to be involved in writing the standard and only keep a single pair of Breda, but could give some limited input and be a sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

Thank you both for the feedback.

Gary, that was very insightful & also very true, I didn't really think about all that. As much as I would love to be in the chicken business for fun, I'm only on a 1/3 acre lot in city limits, so no roosters or breeding for me, we are permitted up to 10 hens. Since I couldn't have a flock for breeding I did a lot of research on all the breeds to come up with an eclectic flock of pretty and unique birds that you don't see everyday that lay a variety of colors of eggs. I loved the look of the Breda, but couldn't find anyone selling pullets, so I bought mail order eggs from a breeder in California and hatched them myself last September. I had 6 hatch so I've been growing them out to know for sure the one that we kept was a girl. Lucky for me we ended up with 3 of each. I so wish I could keep a rooster. All of them have such pretty coloring & they're so different it was really hard to pick out just one. So I need to sell the remaining 5. I'm taking a loss on them, just trying to recover some of the cost of feeding them for 5 months, but I didn't want to have to sell them at $5. I REALLY hate having to sell any of my birds, I get so attached to them, and you never truly know what their next home is going to be like. But if I kept all 6 I'd be way over the city limit & with 3 roosters crowing I'm sure I'd get reported pretty quick. I bribe my neighbors with free eggs to not complain about me being over and having turkey, quail, & meat chickens (I'm sure the city counts these towards our 10 total, but if they're going to be eaten I don't...)

dutchbunny83 - May I ask who the breeder in California is that you ordered your Breda from? I have been looking for Breda on the West Coast. Thank you for your help in advance - Smiles :)

I bought my eggs on ebay, she was the only one selling them last September. I know her originals were from Greenfire Farms. I bought 8 of them for about $25 plus $15 in shipping.
I just looked it up trying to find her name or her farm & I can't, I'm sorry.
Apparently I can only go back 3 months.
I'm really happy with the birds I hatched from her.

I bought my eggs on ebay, she was the only one selling them last September. I know her originals were from Greenfire Farms. I bought 8 of them for about $25 plus $15 in shipping.
I just looked it up trying to find her name or her farm & I can't, I'm sorry.
Apparently I can only go back 3 months.
I'm really happy with the birds I hatched from her.

Thank you dutchbunny83. I guess I'll wait until Spring when hatching season is in full swing to see if anything Breda turns up either on eBay or breeder websites. Skyline Poultry has both Breda & Dominique that I'm interested in but don't know if they'll be willing to ship juveniles rather than eggs or chicks. I like getting a juvenile age as I'm a backyard owner and can't have a large order of chicks or hatching eggs w/ nowhere to find homes for possible cockerels. For a couple of my other rare breeds I found someone who shipped 2 juvie pullets successfully to me by USPS but for Breda and Dominique it's been more of a challenge. I'm not looking for SQ so I get the PQ's which a lot of breeders want to find homes for anyway.

Back
Top Bottom