Breed and Age Question

ArtVandelay

Hatching
Sep 9, 2018
I built a coop this past spring and currently have two chickens and the past couple of days my flock has been getting a visitor. The chicken basically spends the entire day pacing back and forth on the outside of the run. We don't know if the guest chicken is from a neighbors flock or if it is a wild chicken. We live in the suburbs so there aren't many people who have backyard flocks so I was wondering if the community could help me identify what breed and possible age this chicken is.

Also, is there anything I can do with the chicken? Should I add it to my flock or just ignore it.

Attachments

• 1753003052239425123.jpg
    1753003052239425123.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5929892496973272645.jpg
    5929892496973272645.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
I built a coop this past spring and currently have two chickens and the past couple of days my flock has been getting a visitor. The chicken basically spends the entire day pacing back and forth on the outside of the run. We don't know if the guest chicken is from a neighbors flock or if it is a wild chicken. We live in the suburbs so there aren't many people who have backyard flocks so I was wondering if the community could help me identify what breed and possible age this chicken is.

Also, is there anything I can do with the chicken? Should I add it to my flock or just ignore it.

I would probably put it in a separate house to contain it, whatever you have available. Provide food and water. Knock on neighbors doors to find owner. If can't find owner, you can call a rescue animal shelter to see if they would take it in. They sometimes will find someone to foster them. If can't find owner and want to keep then I would quarantine it for 30 days in whatever housing/run you choose before adding to your flock. See article on adding to flock below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

It has been heard of before that sometimes chickens will choose their own flocks. Lots of love!

Back
Top Bottom