Breed Decisions...

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

Just wondering, for others in the UK, I’m looking at getting a little more ‘into’ breeding and am wondering which of the following breeds you’d recommend:

• Wyandotte (I know it’s a common and popular breed, partially why I’ve included it, but I’d be looking at a rare colour)
  • Pekin (already have a little expertise here but I’m not sure yet whether they’d sell well?)
  • Silkie (very popular but I’m wondering whether broodiness might annoy some people…?)
Just a side note about the Pekins: again, I’d probably go with something a little rarer – one of the laced, or mottled or something.

Thoughts would be very much appreciated; thanks!

I'm going to say Pekin, only because they are the best breed ever. But, silkies are also very popular.
Any friend of Pekins is a friend of mine....! But yeah, I do love them. Perfect mix of laying and broody with the most gorgeous temperaments, not to mention they're just so beautiful! Have a favourite colour? We've got a beautiful partridge hen called Maple who is probably my favourite that we've hatched so far.

Mine are Mille Fleur, and I really like their coloring, although their patterning isn't quite correct. I also really like blue and partridge.
Blues are beautiful. It must be really difficult to get the right colouring on a Mille Fleur, though... I haven't tried it but one of my friends breeds them.

And I just noticed your signature. Another Sherlock Holmes fan!:yesss: Have you read The Speckled Band?

Any friend of Pekins is a friend of mine....! But yeah, I do love them. Perfect mix of laying and broody with the most gorgeous temperaments, not to mention they're just so beautiful! Have a favourite colour? We've got a beautiful partridge hen called Maple who is probably my favourite that we've hatched so far.

Mine are Mille Fleur, and I really like their coloring, although their patterning isn't quite correct. I also really like blue and partridge.

I only have one, and she's pure white. But I absolutely love partridge!!!! Gorgeous! And blues, too. Love them!

Side note: Also a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fan. Hubby and I are working through the books and corresponding movies. Last night was the ubiquitous Hound of the Baskervilles. We watched the 1939 version last weekend. We watched the 1959 version last night.

Blues are beautiful. It must be really difficult to get the right colouring on a Mille Fleur, though... I haven't tried it but one of my friends breeds them.

And I just noticed your signature. Another Sherlock Holmes fan!:yesss: Have you read The Speckled Band?

Yeah, I think it's difficult to get the right coloring.
Yes, I've read The Speckled Band! I really liked it. Did you read The Red Headed League? That one was pretty good too. My favorite is probably Copper Beaches, but I didn't read that one. I just watched the show.

Yeah, I think it's difficult to get the right coloring.
Yes, I've read The Speckled Band! I really liked it. Did you read The Red Headed League? That one was pretty good too. My favorite is probably Copper Beaches, but I didn't read that one. I just watched the show.
Mm I've read that one. I forget what it's called, but the one in which Sherlock reappears, supposedly dead, is my favourite.

And thank you for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom