Breed ID on mystery chick, wings fully feathered now

I’ve just assumed she was born a runt, not necessarily something the hatchery “did”, other than maybe breeding weak genetics, but I think the big hatcheries are more of a quantity over quality situation. She was a pretty weak chick and now is just the tiniest but sassiest little chicken.

@JacinLarkwell, didn’t I see on your post that you keep phoenix chickens? Thoughts?
Definitely could be. I'll have to look at the legs on babies running around right now. Sassy does scream phoenix though

OEGBs are bantams right? I really don’t think she’s a bantam. She was the same size as everyone else at the beginning, where previous bantams I’ve raised were obviously smaller, and feathered out about the same rate.

I’m seeing pictures of silver phoenix and silver duckwing phoenix chicks online and many of them have pink legs. Hers have a slight gray tint to them. Maybe they will still darken?

It's possible that the legs could darken...I think someone's said that sometimes hatchery quality phoenix have pink legs...so this might just be it.

Update: I logged into my account on McMurray’s to double check something else and looked at my order history. I had ordered a Lakenvelder but the quantity was listed as 0 and then a Phoenix was added to my order. So the answer was there all along - they had substituted a silver Phoenix in. I had a couple of chicks die early on, so I had assumed that one of them had been the Lakenvelder, and that’s why I didn’t have one now!

Thank you to all the detectives who helped out! And good sleuthing! 😆

She might be a bantam
She might not be a bantam
She might have stunted growth
She might not have stunted growth
But one thing is she's little and needs all the care she can get
My baby girls was just like that and I still love her even more than the others

Funny cus she looks just like her just mine was butter coloured with the chipmunk pattern being brown

She might be a bantam
She might not be a bantam
She might have stunted growth
She might not have stunted growth
But one thing is she's little and needs all the care she can get
My baby girls was just like that and I still love her even more than the others

Funny cus she looks just like her just mine was butter coloured with the chipmunk pattern being brown
Um, this is not helpful nor relevant to the topic at hand.

Back
Top Bottom