Breed ID on mystery chick, wings fully feathered now

juniperz

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2017
I’ve been watching this chick growing up and I’m now certain that she’s not any of the several breeds I purchased from McMurray’s. We had 1 extra in the order, so that must be her. Here are fresh pictures. She is about 7.5 weeks old, but is among 4 who are very developmentally stunted. I believe that is due to being picked on by 2 other chicks, one of whom passed away and the other of which is in chicken jail.
8C5A978F-6A1A-4395-ADED-6C18F96D7369.jpeg

CF3AFABF-8C91-4102-9289-0AD2BA5D4D81.jpeg

27577B31-23A4-4A97-8FF4-E34E7322E911.jpeg

So this is not a bantam? What color are the legs? Kinda looks like a silver phoenix to me.
No, even if she were a bantam, she should be farther along with feather development and she was the same size as everyone else initially. I have 4 who have this stunted growth in this batch; never seen it before. 😞 Check out the size difference on these two:
3B786389-08AB-4B45-BA99-E3E29828EAC2.jpeg

8C894C2F-2F1F-4CB7-94BD-9DF72F629806.jpeg

Photos were taken last week on same day.

I looked up the Phoenix and it’s very close, and would make sense as a rare mystery chick. They are gorgeous!

Oh and legs are pink with a slight gray? You can see them clearly in this photo from June 13:
5D3F7941-F05F-461F-B38C-7DBB330D41FC.jpeg

(Yes, she did get her toe pecked off and it’s a bloody stump. 😭)

No, even if she were a bantam, she should be farther along with feather development and she was the same size as everyone else initially. I have 4 who have this stunted growth in this batch; never seen it before. 😞 Check out the size difference on these two:
View attachment 3560532
View attachment 3560533
Photos were taken last week on same day.

I looked up the Phoenix and it’s very close, and would make sense as a rare mystery chick. They are gorgeous!
I see what you mean. Interestingly enough I have a 10 week old blue silkie from a feed store, that I recently found out was originally from McMurray and she’s been extremely stunted her whole life. She’s absolutely tiny.

Aha. The legs look pink. In this case, this looks like itcould be a silver duckwing OEGB
OEGBs are bantams right? I really don’t think she’s a bantam. She was the same size as everyone else at the beginning, where previous bantams I’ve raised were obviously smaller, and feathered out about the same rate.

I’m seeing pictures of silver phoenix and silver duckwing phoenix chicks online and many of them have pink legs. Hers have a slight gray tint to them. Maybe they will still darken?

I see what you mean. Interestingly enough I have a 10 week old blue silkie from a feed store, that I recently found out was originally from McMurray and she’s been extremely stunted her whole life. She’s absolutely tiny.
Whoa! My stunted ones are from 4 different breeds and had a lot of trauma with all the pecking, so I’m not blaming McMurray for this. I wonder what happened with your chick?

Whoa! My stunted ones are from 4 different breeds and had a lot of trauma with all the pecking, so I’m not blaming McMurray for this. I wonder what happened with your chick?
I’ve just assumed she was born a runt, not necessarily something the hatchery “did”, other than maybe breeding weak genetics, but I think the big hatcheries are more of a quantity over quality situation. She was a pretty weak chick and now is just the tiniest but sassiest little chicken.

@JacinLarkwell, didn’t I see on your post that you keep phoenix chickens? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom