Breed suggestions?

lutz123

Songster
Apr 10, 2011
Loudoun County - Hamilton, VA
I have 4 pullets (three 8 weeks & one 2 week old) and 7 guinea keets and am aiming towards ending up with 6 or 7 hens plus or minus guineas depending on how this first year goes.
wink.png
I currently have a barred rock, buff orpington, feed store "Ameraucana", and a brahma. I'd like to stick with larger sized (to deter the cats from being interested) and docile. They don't need to be great layers. Plus for it being breed that's a little more desirable in the event that I want to breed in the future. It needs to be cold-hardy, but not so much that it can't handle a 95 degree summer day. I'd prefer it not be stupid when it comes to predators if that's even an option. I like the birds I have now - love the brahma and am inclined to go that route - partridge would be nice, but wanted to consider other options in the event that I run across something (Um...going to a chicken swap this weekend.
big_smile.png
) They will be primarily in a coop/large run unless someone is home and out with them.

Suggestions?

Delawares, Orpingtons, Sussex, Marans, Dorkings, Ameraucanas.
So many breeds.....
th.gif
I'd get them all if I could
love.gif

But a girl can only dream
hit.gif
idunno.gif
barnie.gif

Well good luck with any breed(s) you choose!

Cochins are wonderful..but we also have and love marans, speckled sussex, wyandottes, buff orpingtons, olive eggers and a barred rock. These are our motley flock that we love and enjoy! Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom