Breed suggestions?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lutz123, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 pullets (three 8 weeks & one 2 week old) and 7 guinea keets and am aiming towards ending up with 6 or 7 hens plus or minus guineas depending on how this first year goes. [​IMG] I currently have a barred rock, buff orpington, feed store "Ameraucana", and a brahma. I'd like to stick with larger sized (to deter the cats from being interested) and docile. They don't need to be great layers. Plus for it being breed that's a little more desirable in the event that I want to breed in the future. It needs to be cold-hardy, but not so much that it can't handle a 95 degree summer day. I'd prefer it not be stupid when it comes to predators if that's even an option. I like the birds I have now - love the brahma and am inclined to go that route - partridge would be nice, but wanted to consider other options in the event that I run across something (Um...going to a chicken swap this weekend. [​IMG] ) They will be primarily in a coop/large run unless someone is home and out with them.

Suggestions?

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Cochin's are nice, personally my fav's are the orps [​IMG]

3. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    Delawares, Orpingtons, Sussex, Marans, Dorkings, Ameraucanas.
    So many breeds..... [​IMG] I'd get them all if I could [​IMG]
    But a girl can only dream [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well good luck with any breed(s) you choose!

4. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Cochins are wonderful..but we also have and love marans, speckled sussex, wyandottes, buff orpingtons, olive eggers and a barred rock. These are our motley flock that we love and enjoy! Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by