1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding a lavender to a buff

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 22lilchickens, Dec 3, 2014.

1. 22lilchickens

22lilchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I have A huge beautiful lavender orpington rooster, I aso have one lavender hen, I have 5 buff orpingtons hens also if I let my rooster breed them what colors could come from the breeding?

2. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

3. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    You would get the same as from crossing black to buff except that your offspring will be split for lavender. Google black/buff cross. They're quite interesting-looking birds.

4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Great looking birds. Love those Lavenders. I am going to be ordering some Lavender Australorp eggs in the spring. Can't wait. Check out our different threads. I'm very interested in the fermented feed, deep litter and my state La thread. Check out your state. Any questions pls private message me and I'll be happy to help.

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    All the chicks will be black (splits). In the next year breed the splits to each other (sibling mating). 25% of those chicks will show the effect of lavender. Any buff will be a light straw color. Hopefully out of the 25% there will be a few messy light straw colored ones most likely with darker tales. In year 3 you take those messy buff/lavs and breed to pure buff again. In year 4 breed the splits together to get the 25% lav birds. Keep repeating this process until you have the black breed out and have a solid light straw colored bird.

6. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    [​IMG]here is my rooster at 8 months now excuse the specks of frostbite on his comb we had a horrible winter[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by