Breeding Aseels

Hey guys my mixed Orientals are Aseel cross I am thinking I just might have lucked out from the horrible hatch with a pullet and a cockerel (cross fingers guys). The largest chick is 50%Thai and Aseel... the littler one I do not know the mix because the incubator malfunction required me to get it out and I was dumb and did not mark down the code on the shell... could be Shamo Aseel, Thai Aseel, or Brazilian Aseel.

I understand these guys are going to need a lower protein diet than my longtails... to prevent leg issues?

View attachment 2163641View attachment 2163642View attachment 2163643

I am going to build a special pen for these two, because they are game and the only two I have but also because... I am very worried my oldest laying hen will kill the one we think is a cockerel if I let them free range or have yard exercise. She has killed 4 cocks... we are going to construct a pen just for her as well to protect any future roosters amongst the utility flock. So now every bird I think might mature into a rooster of any breed can not be near her... she does not kill pullets or hens just males. That’s miss attitude ‘Princess Leia“ on my shoulder... I guess if I want to breed her it will be AI.

View attachment 2163654
I give standard chick starter with calcium supplement in water to my chicks and have had no feet issues

What do you mean by not touch the deep litter method for birds kept long term?

Where are from? USA?
I am in the central USA (Missouri). Temperature get much colder and about as warm as you see plus we get hammered with more humidity. Deep litter not ideal for sustained contact with birds feet. It is OK with young birds, especially when in the form of a compost heap.

I am in the central USA (Missouri). Temperature get much colder and about as warm as you see plus we get hammered with more humidity. Deep litter not ideal for sustained contact with birds feet. It is OK with young birds, especially when in the form of a compost heap.
What do you use your birds for? eggs? Meat? Breeding? Showing?

American Dominiques for eggs and meat as well as selling laying pullets. The games are used in part for educational purposes and more recently for research. Educational birds are tame to the extreme and trained. I take them to events where I can just drop them on the ground to do what they want until I call, then they come running even through a crowd of people to fly into my hands. They tolerate strangers touching them, sometimes a thousand people in a day. They will also walk with tours I lead and help keep audience interested.

Some are used for showing. I am developing a breed of my own as well. With American Dominques we do pretty good at showing. I have been taking the breed being developed to show as American Dominiques, we get disqualified. We get disqualified on American Game side as well. I have no American Games that meet color requirements. The Aseel will at least meet color requirements. Type may be a problem out of that hen.

When do Aseels start molting process as adults? My American Games are already into replacing flight feathers of wings and males will soon be going into eclipse molt. I can see no sign of feather replacement in my Aseel bullstag. Only signs of molt I see in pictures on internet involve the more intense portion of feather replacement that starts in late summer.

When do Aseels start molting process as adults? My American Games are already into replacing flight feathers of wings and males will soon be going into eclipse molt. I can see no sign of feather replacement in my Aseel bullstag. Only signs of molt I see in pictures on internet involve the more intense portion of feather replacement that starts in late summer.
For me moulting started in the start of February and ended in end of April. All my aseels older than one year moult two times a year, ones when winter starts to end and temperature start to increases, and ones when summer starts to end and temperature starts to decrease.

Back
Top Bottom