Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Babies' first full photo shoot! Looks like I ended up with 3 Blacks and 2 Blues in this bunch 💙 🖤

all da babies.jpg

This is roughly hatch order, I think. First to hatch, a spunky Blue:

Blue 1 multicolor beak.jpg

Glam shot 🤭 Girl knows how to work the runway already! (Ahem, we're pretending they're all pullets until proven otherwise, for the record ;) )

Blue 1 glam.jpg

These ones might be mixed up for hatch order, but the next three to hatch were all Black:

Black 1 dark around nostrils.jpg
Black 2 darkest face.jpg

(This one's leg is fine, she just turned while I was taking pictures and of course the picture mid-turn was the clearest shot of her :rolleyes: )

Black 3 light around nostrils.jpg

Last to hatch, the second Blue. This little one is holding her left eye shut, but hopefully it's from another curious peck like last time and nothing serious. Looks like she already outgrew her punk rock phase, too--no more mohawk. 🤭

Blue 2 full dark beak.jpg

Babies' first full photo shoot! Looks like I ended up with 3 Blacks and 2 Blues in this bunch 💙 🖤

View attachment 3523482

This is roughly hatch order, I think. First to hatch, a spunky Blue:

View attachment 3523487

Glam shot 🤭 Girl knows how to work the runway already! (Ahem, we're pretending they're all pullets until proven otherwise, for the record ;) )

View attachment 3523486

These ones might be mixed up for hatch order, but the next three to hatch were all Black:

View attachment 3523483View attachment 3523484

(This one's leg is fine, she just turned while I was taking pictures and of course the picture mid-turn was the clearest shot of her :rolleyes: )

View attachment 3523485

Last to hatch, the second Blue. This little one is holding her left eye shut, but hopefully it's from another curious peck like last time and nothing serious. Looks like she already outgrew her punk rock phase, too--no more mohawk. 🤭

View attachment 3523488
Nice toes

Batch 2 is in lock down! 6 more eggs from Gus's coop! :wee

I did calibrate a thermometer and double check my incubator's temperature, and it's where it needs to be. I use meat thermometers, so I can't definitely say that it's exactly 99.5°F because it only has lines every 2 degrees F, but it's just below the 100°F mark, so roughly 99.5°F. So in other words, I have no idea why the last batch was so slow to hatch! I guess we'll see how this next batch goes. :fl

Oh, and...

Last to hatch, the second Blue. This little one is holding her left eye shut, but hopefully it's from another curious peck like last time and nothing serious.

Blue 2 full dark beak.jpg

This little one's eye is just fine as of now, for the record! I realize I keep mentioning things and never following up on them, so I'm trying to do a little better about that.
sheepish shrug.gif

I've just managed to sell off my three extra boys! :yesss: Levi, Dean, and Jack are all off to their own flocks. I held onto Zeke as my backup breeder, just in case. He ought to be happier, as Levi and Dean were pushing him around a bit, poor boy!

And I returned home to two more external pips, so all five remaining eggs of this batch are now air breathers! :wee

Two more chicks out, one an hour or two ago and one a few minutes ago. I went ahead and banded the first two and moved them to the brooder. This, of course, after traumatizing the five one-week-olds by changing out their towel so the newbies would have a clean towel to come out onto. :rolleyes: Three more eggs to go! :wee

Back
Top Bottom