Breeds that are a little easier to sex?

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
My daughters' 4H group will be hatching eggs this spring. They are investigating breeds and are wondering about whether there are other breeds that have little tricks to make educated guesses about gender. We know about the sex links but they were wondering about other things like the Barred Rock that has the little tricks of more distinct head spot and dark leg wash for the females.

Any thought?

You could always go with cream legbars or rhodebars, which are autosexing breeds. That would make it really easy! Also, you could try welsummers, as the females have thicker 'eyeliner' (dark band around the eye) and a sharper triangle on their heads than the males do.

Last edited:
You could always go with cream legbars or rhodebars, which are autosexing breeds. That would make it really easy! Also, you could try welsummers, as the females have thicker 'eyeliner' (dark band around the eye) and a sharper triangle on their heads than the males do.
Ooooo! I would love a Welsummer. Then I could keep one!!! Uh Oh. I feel an attack of chicken math coming on.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom