Breeds to Start Laying?

birds_and_snakes

Chirping
May 1, 2023
Hey all!

I've got the following breeds, who are all currently at 14 weeks old, and I was wondering when I would likely be getting eggs from each breed:

• Barred Plymouth Rock
  • Welsummer
  • SL Wyandotte
  • SL Polish
  • Blue Ameracauna
I did a small google search and it looks like the Barreds may be first a like 16-18 weeks, but I was hoping someone would have an idea of each breed's approx. starting lay age. Thank you guys!!

All the best,
Lindsey Dunham

(pic of our handsome rooster for tax)

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 5.08.17 PM.png

My Welsummer was the first of my flock to lay. Just checked my app, and she was about 22 weeks old. First egg was TINY, but they average around 60g now. Where did you get them from? Laying age may differ based on source.

My Welsummer was the first of my flock to lay. Just checked my app, and she was about 22 weeks old. First egg was TINY, but they average around 60g now. Where did you get them from? Laying age may differ based on source.
They were all sourced through Stromberg's, so I'm not sure the hatchery they used. That's so interesting about the Welsummers! I have heard they can be *late bloomers* lol.

I
What app do you use?
Its called Flockstar. You can put in birthdate of each chicken, and each day they lay (or a whole batch if you can’t tell the difference). Shows you highest & lowest weight (if you weigh them, and last egg laid, along with a weekly graph. Super helpful for remembering when someone went broody and stopped laying, or stopped during molt. I’m a bit of a math nerd, and there’s so many cool egg statistics! 😂

The earliest I had was a white leghorn at ~14 weeks. The latest was a barnyard Easter egger at ~26. Watch for the comb pinking and “the squat”. Past that, birds are individuals, regardless of breed times will vary.

Thank you guys so much! It's also like 92-96F outside every day here. Some people say that extreme heat can stall laying. Do you all know anything about this?

I

Its called Flockstar. You can put in birthdate of each chicken, and each day they lay (or a whole batch if you can’t tell the difference). Shows you highest & lowest weight (if you weigh them, and last egg laid, along with a weekly graph. Super helpful for remembering when someone went broody and stopped laying, or stopped during molt. I’m a bit of a math nerd, and there’s so many cool egg statistics! 😂
OMG I just downloaded it and I am *obsessed*. This is so cool! Tracking expenses and individuals! Amazing. Thank you!!

I

The new upgraded version is even better! Let's you keep track of sales and expenses as well and will transfer all your data from the old app

Back
Top Bottom