Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator

Thank you for the reply! I adjusted the temperature so that I have a 99.5 reading at the eggs. I'll re calibrate once this hatch is complete, for now I adjusted the temp accordingly. I'm just hoping the hatch turns out ok since I didn't correct the temp until I had 8 days left. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I adjusted the temperature so that I have a 99.5 reading at the eggs. I'll re calibrate once this hatch is complete, for now I adjusted the temp accordingly. I'm just hoping the hatch turns out ok since I didn't correct the temp until I had 8 days left. Wish me luck!
You're welcome. Best of luck on the hatch! If the incubator was running on the cool side the first couple of weeks, it may delay the hatch by a day or two.

I ended up recalibrating half a dozen times during a single incubation period to finally get the temperatures right. Hopefully now it will be OK for the next hatch without having to fuss with it.

BTW - Welcome to BYC! Great to have another person from Pennsylvania!

Last edited:
I just finished my first hatch with brinsea mini Eco. I did not calibrate the thermometer that came with it because it only reads like 80-110f. But I had a good hatch rate. I ran warmer then normal tough at about 99.9-100.0. I just found a thermometer small enough to fit in there and plan on calibrating that this afternoon and double checking the brinsea thermometer. I am setting a new batch this week. I've been using a toothpaste cap in one chamber to keep humidity 30-35%. Anyone having good luck with filling up one chamber and having higher humidity day. 1-18?

I just finished my first hatch with brinsea mini Eco. I did not calibrate the thermometer that came with it because it only reads like 80-110f. But I had a good hatch rate. I ran warmer then normal tough at about 99.9-100.0. I just found a thermometer small enough to fit in there and plan on calibrating that this afternoon and double checking the brinsea thermometer. I am setting a new batch this week. I've been using a toothpaste cap in one chamber to keep humidity 30-35%. Anyone having good luck with filling up one chamber and having higher humidity day. 1-18?
First, my Brinsea mini advance runs a little hotter than it says too. It hasn't affected my hatch yet. My last hatch in April was 5 turkey eggs, and it was set for 99.5 for 28 days, with turning stopped 2 days before hatch. When I laid a small thermometer on the eggs it was always one degree hotter, sometimes more. As usual (for me anyway) they hatched a day early. I turned off turning a day early, removed the turner and placed the precut paper towels I always use to prevent them slipping after hatch. Then I filled both sides of reservoir and went into early lockdown. They all hatched fine.

Secondly, I use a small hygrometer to measure humidity, and it always read about 44-45% when one half of reservoir is filled. I refill it every 2-3 days, and haven't had any humidity problems yet.

My only complaint is that turkey eggs do not turn well in Brinsea mini advance, and I hand turn once or twice a day to help. But last month I was out of town for 3 days during incubation, and it was almost dry and none were turned well while I was gone and it was still a perfect hatch. So I think all in all Brinsea makes a great bator, easy to clean and dependable.

Congrats on your first hatch!! It is addicting tho, lol
lol.png

Anybody have an incubator I could borrow for a hatch? We are just getting set up for backyard chickens and I would really like to hatch them with the kids. A brinsea would be ideal for our viewing pleasure ;) I live in the SF Bay Area but would be willing to pay shipping if that's an option... I just can't justify paying almost $200 for a single hatch:(

Anybody have an incubator I could borrow for a hatch? We are just getting set up for backyard chickens and I would really like to hatch them with the kids. A brinsea would be ideal for our viewing pleasure ;) I live in the SF Bay Area but would be willing to pay shipping if that's an option... I just can't justify paying almost $200 for a single hatch:(
I would post in the "wanted" section of BYC. Also you can get the Eco (hand turn) for $100 with free shipping. I'm sure it would be easy to sell and get some of your money back. Used ones on eBay are going for about -$40 under original price.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance you can borrow if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for my current batch to hatch out. We are in Monterey area, but husband works in San Jose and can bring it to his fire station for you to pick up at your convenience.

hi from uk
I have just purchased the brinsea mini advance.
I have just read the whole 30 page post here and found it very interesting

I would like to ask , has any one hatched indian runner ducks ?
and if so have I set the right settings ?

I started mine off (6 indian runner duck eggs) tonight at 7:20pm uk time
filled 1 side of water pot. set temperature at 37.5c, turn 45mins, turn angle 12 ( 10 didn't turn full half way so changed it to 12 and seems ok) and going to set cool option after 7 days to (180 mins , hmm that right ?)

+ last few days fill both pots ? day 25 ?
thanks for any info + response

Last edited:
Hi Alf, sorry I am no help with hatching ducks. You've given good information on what you are doing. This is not a very active thread, and I wonder if you'd ask your question in one of the hatch- a-long threads if you'd get responses. I have read of people who have success with the Mini Advance and hatching duck eggs.

Best Wishes.

My broody hen left 3 eggs in the nest to care for 2 chicks that hatched. What temperature do I set the Brinsea Mini Advance for the last 5 days of incubation? I've never used it before! I don't know if it's 5 days out for sure just want to make sure I put in enough time. HELP!

Back
Top Bottom