Broad spectrum de-wormer?

Coldweatherbirds

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Central Maine
It's been a hard winter and a couple of my hens and my rooster are thin despite having constant layer feed, cracked corn, table scraps and scavenging under the bird feeder. They have access to grit and oyster shells too. They have had intermittent diarrhea all winter. My rooster's feathers are starting to break off, not fall out or molt but break off at the downy part. One of my hens is acting lethargic and has a huge crop. All combs and wattles are nice and red, though. There is no blood in their stool. I haven't found any mites, but am wondering about leg mites on 3 of the birds because a few of their leg scales are large and a little peeled up.

So, my big question is: What can I use to de-worm them that is broad spectrum, cheap, and easy to get? Will any de-wormers kill mites too?

Thank you for any help!

To my knowledge, Wazine is the only wormer labeled for chickens. I think the withdrawl period is 2 weeks. That being said, many people use things like Eprinex and Ivomectin off label. I have used Eprinex topically to help with mites before. Use it like frontline. I used I think 3 drops on the back of the neck for bantams and 6 for standard size birds. Used a syringe without the needle and parted the feathers. Do a search for leg mites and you will get tons of info.

Thank you! Searched for "Wazine" and found lots of awesome old posts on here that my search for de-worming" didn't find! I'm all set now. Wazine first, then Ivermectin and that should about cover everything. Also going to try food grade DE in their dust baths this summer. I LOVE BYC! Thank you!

I would recommend using garlic. You can still eat the eggs and avoid long range health problems that often come with indiscriminate chemical use. 8 cloves of minced garlic per gallon of water steeped overnight and added to their waterer will help with worms, and external parasites. I follow this regimen once a month.

Rubbing lavender on the legs will kill any scaly leg mite. Also adding aromatic herbs (rosemary, lavender, chamomile, mint, sage, etc.) to your bedding will help keep this buggies away.

The chemical companies are not making these products out of the goodness of their hearts......

Check out "The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm & Stable" or "Backyard Chickens Naturally." These are great books for further details on dealing with lots of health issues safely, effectively, and inexpensively.

Back
Top Bottom