Status
Not open for further replies.

SunflowerDays

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
England
Hello all,
I am in a desperate situation. There is a wild mallard with a heavily broken beak. She also has a duckling, which is why I haven’t taken her to the vets or contacted the wildlife centre as I think catching both will be beyond impossible and extremely distressing. Plus I think they will put her down. She broke it 14 days ago and have been amazed every time I see her alive. Now, she has been standing by my boat constantly. I fed the wildfowl every day and have for 6 years, and generally care for them when they have been ill (shot, tackle in beak, broken beak, broken foot, neglected ducklings etc) so they know where to come, however I have not cared for a broken beak that is this broken and has a duckling in tow. She has clearly been able to eat like whales do I think, by scooping up fish in the water, but she is very skinny now and she wants me to feed her constantly. Which I am via a raised bowl of water and food in and she can try and let it pour down her throat. (I do that with other broken beak ducks). She has got frustrated with this, and honestly I think she needs further interaction. I have a large lambing syringe and long tube, so I can place it down her throat/neck. Minced up corn & peas, vit D mixture with calcium liquid. I’ll grab some Gatorade too. But how do I actually tube her? (If I actually catch her.) any help would be fantastic, she obviously wants to be alive. Thank you.

Attachments

• 397CA542-7A63-49EB-B993-CA7D7E2A3D8C.jpeg
    397CA542-7A63-49EB-B993-CA7D7E2A3D8C.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 24
  • EA780EFC-8668-47A7-844E-6A6605EB30EC.jpeg
    EA780EFC-8668-47A7-844E-6A6605EB30EC.jpeg
    593.8 KB · Views: 10
Is the beak broken all the way?? If this was me i would take her mouth (not the best idea) but sometimes* that helps. Try giving her egg yolk down the tube that your using. Egg yolk will fill her up and its also nutrious. I hope she heals!

Hello all,
I am in a desperate situation. There is a wild mallard with a heavily broken beak. She also has a duckling, which is why I haven’t taken her to the vets or contacted the wildlife centre as I think catching both will be beyond impossible and extremely distressing. Plus I think they will put her down. She broke it 14 days ago and have been amazed every time I see her alive. Now, she has been standing by my boat constantly. I fed the wildfowl every day and have for 6 years, and generally care for them when they have been ill (shot, tackle in beak, broken beak, broken foot, neglected ducklings etc) so they know where to come, however I have not cared for a broken beak that is this broken and has a duckling in tow. She has clearly been able to eat like whales do I think, by scooping up fish in the water, but she is very skinny now and she wants me to feed her constantly. Which I am via a raised bowl of water and food in and she can try and let it pour down her throat. (I do that with other broken beak ducks). She has got frustrated with this, and honestly I think she needs further interaction. I have a large lambing syringe and long tube, so I can place it down her throat/neck. Minced up corn & peas, vit D mixture with calcium liquid. I’ll grab some Gatorade too. But how do I actually tube her? (If I actually catch her.) any help would be fantastic, she obviously wants to be alive. Thank you.
I know you're hesitant to call for this case, but I would really recommend a wildlife rehabilitator. Wild Mallards are protected under the Migratory bird act and are protected in certain states, so it would be illegal to take her or her duckling in without a permit or permission.

A rehabber can assess her and her ability to survive this, and has access to antibiotics & pain meds which she sorely needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom