Broken chicken wing

Ammielynn

In the Brooder
May 25, 2019
Northern Minnesota
How can I help my poor girl with her broken chicken wing? It currently hangs, but she can move it..... She also has a fractured leg so I'm trying to help the healing process... I tried wrapping it but she was off balance. Any advice would be helpful!

Also this injury happened a week ago and she still is very tired daily. I placed her out in the yard and she falls asleep. So I've been keeping her in the crate. When should I be concerned if she doesn't get her energy back?

How can I help my poor girl with her broken chicken wing? It currently hangs, but she can move it..... She also has a fractured leg so I'm trying to help the healing process... I tried wrapping it but she was off balance. Any advice would be helpful!

Also this injury happened a week ago and she still is very tired daily. I placed her out in the yard and she falls asleep. So I've been keeping her in the crate. When should I be concerned if she doesn't get her energy back?
Can you post some photos?
How old is she?
Any idea how she suffered a broken wing and fractured leg?
Seeking vet care is best.

You can try following the splinting wrapping instructions in this avian manual to see if that helps. https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

You can also try placing her in a sling daily to help give her some rest if she is standing a lot, this will take some weight off her leg. Google "chicken sling" and look at the images and videos for more ideas - there's one posted below.

Im dealing with something similar, I am wondering how long to isolate my chicken with her broken wing. It is wrapped up, but she seems to be doing well.

Yes, she does have wounds, she was attacked by a dog. I cleaned and put polysporin on the open wounds and her wing is currently wrapped. I have attached a picture of her. I am at work during the days, so right now she is confined to a wooden box about 3' by 6'. I feel bad for her being so lonely, and she seems to be feeling much better. But I don't want to put her out with the others too soon and backtrack her healing.
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• bertha.jpg
    bertha.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 91
I would clean the wound a couple of times a day with Hibiclens (chlorhexiden) and water, Vetericyn, or Betadine, and repeat the antibiotic ointment.

Back
Top Bottom