Broken dew claw and swollen toe on pekin...Pics included

Mandrogora

Songster
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
NW Montana
About a week ago my 6 1/2 month old pekin girl broke her dew claw at the base. A few weeks before that the other one broke as well. I think she did it stepping up onto their porch or on ice. I fixed the porch so she doesn't have to step as high and put so much weight on that toe and covered the ice with straw. It was hanging but still attached so I left it because I wasn't sure how much it would bleed if I tried to pull it. I cleaned it, applied antibiotic ointment and styptic powder and the next day the whole nail came off with very little bleeding. I continued to apply antibiotic ointment but now the toe is swollen. I ran out of epsom salt so I soaked her foot in an iodine solution this morning and coated it with ointment again. She's acting normal. Eating, drinking, pooping, & laying. Do you think an antibiotic is needed? Unfortunately a vet is not an option at the moment. How would you treat this?

Attachments

• Sage Toe 2.JPG
    Sage Toe 2.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Sage Toe 3.JPG
    Sage Toe 3.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Sage Toe 4.JPG
    Sage Toe 4.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Sage.JPG
    Sage.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 52
I’d def keep up the soaks there maybe some infection in there with it swollen maybe either with the iodine solution or pick up more Epsom salt the scab may have to come off if infection is in there but give it a few days of soaking and using the ointment before you pull off the scab. Bumble maybe started. Does the toe feels hot like infection?

Last edited:
About a week ago my 6 1/2 month old pekin girl broke her dew claw at the base. A few weeks before that the other one broke as well. I think she did it stepping up onto their porch or on ice. I fixed the porch so she doesn't have to step as high and put so much weight on that toe and covered the ice with straw. It was hanging but still attached so I left it because I wasn't sure how much it would bleed if I tried to pull it. I cleaned it, applied antibiotic ointment and styptic powder and the next day the whole nail came off with very little bleeding. I continued to apply antibiotic ointment but now the toe is swollen. I ran out of epsom salt so I soaked her foot in an iodine solution this morning and coated it with ointment again. She's acting normal. Eating, drinking, pooping, & laying. Do you think an antibiotic is needed? Unfortunately a vet is not an option at the moment. How would you treat this?
Soak in Epsom salt. Quarantine her inside. Saline will help keep it flushed out. Flush twice a day. She may need antibiotics. My Pekin has a broken toe. We use old towels for bedding and she's in the house for at least two weeks.

Attachments

• 11475.jpeg
    11475.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20181218_174053465.jpg
    IMG_20181218_174053465.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 45
It does feel a bit warm. I'll grab some more epsom salt and continue with the iodine until then. I'd like to keep her with her flock if possible. She is the leader of the group and has been since day 1. I think it would be to stressful for them to be apart. Their coop is quite large so I can keep them inside. I just changed all the bedding and scrubbed it down a few days ago. What type of antibiotics can I use if she needs them?

It does feel a bit warm. I'll grab some more epsom salt and continue with the iodine until then. I'd like to keep her with her flock if possible. She is the leader of the group and has been since day 1. I think it would be to stressful for them to be apart. Their coop is quite large so I can keep them inside. I just changed all the bedding and scrubbed it down a few days ago. What type of antibiotics can I use if she needs them?
Is she limping?

I'm not seeing a serious limp. She seems to be walking pretty normally.If she is limping than it is just slightly, it's hard to tell because she's a bigger girl and waddles more than the others. I'm going to go soak her in some epsom now.

Back
Top Bottom