Bronze heritage turkey or BBB?

How does he walk? If he's a BBB, he will walk slow, with a side to side step as if he has a two-by-four wedged between his legs. A standard bronze, even a large standard will still be able to walk relatively normal, and even run. But like Steve, I think you have a BBB if he's to heavy to lift!

Yep sure looks like BBB now. What do you think?

56531_img00022-20100825-1905.jpg

56531_img00021-20100825-1904.jpg

So if this is a broad breated bronze how long can he live? If he is doomed a short life then TG dinner he is. If he can stick around we'd like that. I'm good with it either way.

How old is he Moe? looking at the one pic from the front he doesn't have the wide spread legs of a BBB but from the side he does have the rounded body shape. There is no telling how long a BB type will make it. Some people do keep them for years, keep a close eye out for leg problems, make sure he has plenty to space to move around. Only one way to find out how long he will make it.

Steve

He is 18 weeks old. I wish there was some way to tell for sure if he is BB. I don't want to NOT eat him and then have him die on me. I guess I'll have to see how he's doing about mid-November and make the decision then. Right now all my birds (6 chickens and 1 turkey) are crammed into a small coup at night, but free range in my back yard all day every day. The new coup is in progress and should give ample room for him at night.

I would give him just 2 more months then you will know.

first, he appears large, yes but..........he seems real log legged and gracefull in his stance for a BBB

here are som pictures of mine at 6.5 months, I am finishing them out before butchering
31900_dsc02051.jpg

31900_dsc02050.jpg

and the smaller one in front is a RPx with another heiritage breed and it is about 19 weeks
31900_dsc02054.jpg

Last edited:
A comerical breed BBW at 17 to 20 weeks should weigh 26.4 to 32.3 pounds says a UC Davis site I was reading. I would think BBB might be smaller because they are not breed comercialy anymore and are not the super hybrids that the whites are. I have posted before about my old BBB turkey. They can live long if you did not throw to much food at them when they are young. I think he was about 4 when the picture was taken.

57076_sebastian_3rd_birthday_and_poultry_158.jpg

That is mud on his feet. You can see his beard.

Last edited:
I am soooo tempted to weigh him, but I'm having issues with pinched nerves in my back and that would probably send me off to the doc if I did try it.

last years BBB turkeys dressed out at 33lbs. I assume they weighed close to 45-50lbs. before processing. the ones in my previous post are about there now, I just want them to eat feed and greens only for a few weeks for flavor.

Back
Top Bottom