Brooder as part of Coop

ODchickens

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
I have 5 grown chickens now and plan on adding a bunch more chicks in February or March. I'd like to incorporate the brooder as part of the coop itself. The bottom area where the door is on left side as you see in photo is where I'd like to build it in. The area is 2 feet high by 4 feet by 4 feet. I would cut that in half so I would only have to reach in 2 feet to get to any far chicks.
I do have electric in the coop and am thinking of using a heat lamp on one side for the chicks to stay warm.
Any recommendations?
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 27
Owen, I’m a beginner too, but I do have one recommendation. Don’t use a heat lamp. It’s really dangerous, unnecessary and not the best way to keep the babies warm. Get one of the infrared heater panels. I got a Titan on Amazon, but there are a number of brands available. These produce radiant heat, not enough to burn or hurt or set your bedding on fire. They sit on legs up off the ground far enough to let the chicks get under (like a little fort for them). A radiant heater heats objects, not room air. The chicks can go in and out at will to eat and drink and play and get warmed up when they feel the need. The height is adjustable so you can raise it up as the chicks grow. My babies loved it. I moved them out of the garage after 4 days to a coop with no heat other than the panel. It was pretty cold at night at the time—freezing, even. They never seemed uncomfortable at all and I lost none of them.

If you don’t want to spend the cash for the infrared panels, you can make your own chick fort by fashioning a cave from wire fencing and draping a heating pad over (or suspending one under) it. The roof of the cave should be low enough toward the back and edges for the babies to touch their backs on it, and also have some high spots toward the middle and front for the ones that need less warmth. **Make sure to buy a heating pad that has an option to NOT shut itself off.** The advantage of a heating pad is that they usually have variable settings (which is also confusing, but you just let the chicks guide you... if they won’t go in their cave, lower the temp; if they never come out, raise it a notch).

Owen, I’m a beginner too, but I do have one recommendation. Don’t use a heat lamp. It’s really dangerous, unnecessary and not the best way to keep the babies warm. Get one of the infrared heater panels. I got a Titan on Amazon, but there are a number of brands available. These produce radiant heat, not enough to burn or hurt or set your bedding on fire. They sit on legs up off the ground far enough to let the chicks get under (like a little fort for them). A radiant heater heats objects, not room air. The chicks can go in and out at will to eat and drink and play and get warmed up when they feel the need. The height is adjustable so you can raise it up as the chicks grow. My babies loved it. I moved them out of the garage after 4 days to a coop with no heat other than the panel. It was pretty cold at night at the time—freezing, even. They never seemed uncomfortable at all and I lost none of them.

If you don’t want to spend the cash for the infrared panels, you can make your own chick fort by fashioning a cave from wire fencing and draping a heating pad over (or suspending one under) it. The roof of the cave should be low enough toward the back and edges for the babies to touch their backs on it, and also have some high spots toward the middle and front for the ones that need less warmth. **Make sure to buy a heating pad that has an option to NOT shut itself off.** The advantage of a heating pad is that they usually have variable settings (which is also confusing, but you just let the chicks guide you... if they won’t go in their cave, lower the temp; if they never come out, raise it a notch).
It was suggested to me to use a brooder mat. I checked them out and they seem very safe. I ordered one from Amazon. I will try hatching a few of my pullets eggs and brooding them indoors for the first few weeks until they get their feathers, then it's out to the main coop where I'll be setting up an unheated brooder. They should be fine.

I brood incoop with a mama heat pad
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145
Tjis eliminates the hazards of a heat lamp and maintains a natural day/night cycle for chicks and adults

This is my brooder space, sectioned off when needed with a panel that hangs from the poop board
20180218_142725.jpg

Integration starts at three weeks so the space being small isnt a big deal. by four weeks the babies live fully within the main flock with run of the coop and run and ranging in the fenced backyard

I use a similar setup to @Ol Grey Mare
Works really well only thing I would add is I use two heating pads in case one fails. Always love having backup. Hence the two waterers also. The waterer is also for quails really small tray so they can't get in and get wet.
KIMG0023.jpg

And no I didn't install a Roku TV for them that was just to block the doorway. :lol:

IMO a 2x4 area is going to hold chicks for maybe the first week by the time you fit water food and heat there will be no room for chicks. I use a 4x4 dog crate for the first weeks and by the second week 6 Silkies are outgrown the space and need to be moved out to my 4x8 brooder in the coop in order to have room to exercise.
One other question- maybe that’s not all of you chicken coop in the picture but how much space total do you have for more chickens. The set up in the picture looks cramped for 5.

I have 5 grown chickens now and plan on adding a bunch more chicks in February or March. I'd like to incorporate the brooder as part of the coop itself. The bottom area where the door is on left side as you see in photo is where I'd like to build it in. The area is 2 feet high by 4 feet by 4 feet. I would cut that in half so I would only have to reach in 2 feet to get to any far chicks.
I do have electric in the coop and am thinking of using a heat lamp on one side for the chicks to stay warm.
Any recommendations?
Owen
Love the idea but I would suggest to get a heater panel or two instead of risking a fire hazard with a heater lamp. On the plus side a heater panel is easier to use and the chicks can touch it by accident and they will still be good. It also helps them keep a good day and night schedule since it’s not a light. I am getting chicks sometime this week and I have 2 panels that I put in my brooder because of how wide it is and because I am getting 12 chicks as well. They come with stands so it simulates the underbelly of a hen and they can get out from under the panel if they get to warm. They usually will wean themselves off of it when they get old enough and it’s easier this way because you don’t have to worry about turning the temp down 5° F every time. They are more expensive but it’s for a reason :)

Back
Top Bottom