Brooder/heat lamp issues

Pics

KLO

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Hello,
My name is Kassie. I am new to raising chickens. We received our 7 new chicks via USPS on Monday the 9th. They are so small and needy.
Right now we have them in a Rubbermaid we converted into a brooder and are having issues with the heat lamp. Its giving off too much heat. I've raised it multiple times but the girls still will not sleep under it at all. They prefer to sleep more near the edge of the heat lamp. I've raised it way up high and I've seen where other people have their heat lamps rather close down at first. I'm curious as to why my birds aren't fans of the lamp at all. Any suggestions?

We have 7 birds. Ordered 6 and got a free one too.
2- EE's
1- RIR
2- Black Australorps
2 - Barred Rocks

One of the Barred rocks was the freeby.
Also, one the the barred rocks has some diarrhea. She seems okay. Is eating and drinking and playing with her sisters but still has muddy diarrhea. They have medicated starter feed to prevent coccidiosis so I was wondering what else it could possibly be.

I've raised it way up high and I've seen where other people have their heat lamps rather close down at first. I'm curious as to why my birds aren't fans of the lamp at all. Any suggestions?
You could have it in a significantly warmer area than I have mine in; your chicks could just naturally be hardier, or you might have a brooder that reflects the warmth back into the middle of the brooder. There are a lot of factors.

Hmmm. That's ringing alarm bells in my head. Some hatcheries will include a "Free" straight-run bird. Got any pictures? If she's a he, best to know now, rather than later.

Also, one the the barred rocks has some diarrhea. She seems okay. Is eating and drinking and playing with her sisters but still has muddy diarrhea. They have medicated starter feed to prevent coccidiosis so I was wondering what else it could possibly be.
My first suspicion would still be coccidiosis. The amount of amprollium in most medicated feed is enough to keep a low level low, but if the count raises for any reason, medicated feed often won't get it back down. Do you have pictures of this poop? Does she act cold? Are her wings weirdly held out?

Hello,
My name is Kassie. I am new to raising chickens. We received our 7 new chicks via USPS on Monday the 9th. They are so small and needy.
Right now we have them in a Rubbermaid we converted into a brooder and are having issues with the heat lamp. Its giving off too much heat. I've raised it multiple times but the girls still will not sleep under it at all. They prefer to sleep more near the edge of the heat lamp. I've raised it way up high and I've seen where other people have their heat lamps rather close down at first. I'm curious as to why my birds aren't fans of the lamp at all. Any suggestions?

We have 7 birds. Ordered 6 and got a free one too.
2- EE's
1- RIR
2- Black Australorps
2 - Barred Rocks

It’s summer and if you are using a 250 W bulb with a Rubbermaid tote, it is probably way too hot!Do you have a thermometer in there? 90 to 95° is good for the first week. I just think those 250 W bulbs in a very small space are way too hot.

I would remove the standard red heat bulb that likely came with the lamp, and replace it with a lower wattage reptile bulb from a pet store. A lot less heat and I find the reptile bulbs to be better quality as well.
Yes, I totally agree! I use the reptile bulbs also because they are more natural since they give off only heat.I have heard 24 hour light can stress out the chicks. I would probably just buy a 75 W bulb since the chicks are just in a small plastic tote.

Back
Top Bottom