Brooder???

Pics
Mine is an X large dog crate with top removed and door tie wrapped in place works great. I am sure others have better options.

Look forward to seeing yours. I use old window screen over top.

The brooder I built.
25DCA8A8-5EB5-46A4-84C2-A21E4949868D.jpeg
110DDCB9-C6B4-4E1E-9221-4E72675A2669.jpeg
E34C7735-5594-427F-B5BB-290DCC79CF00.jpeg
7A8A1A53-72EB-472D-BFF2-5B3F05730D67.jpeg
C0F0891B-44CB-42BD-A602-79C8AC1400AC.jpeg
A9504952-7E8E-43AD-AD41-771591D062B2.jpeg

Keep a close watch on the temp in there and lil heads lil bodies can grow fast and get burned on heat lamp. Looks great except those lil webs on that metal may not be so good. Anything you can put over top to keep their feet safe?

You did a fantastic job on building that brooder. and sorry to even have to say what I did but you asked.

Keep a close watch on the temp in there and lil heads lil bodies can grow fast and get burned on heat lamp. Looks great except those lil webs on that metal may not be so good. Anything you can put over top to keep their feet safe?

You did a fantastic job on building that brooder. and sorry to even have to say what I did but you asked.
I take no comment bad because all of you have experience I do not and have seen things I do not think of. And thank you for the compliment and comments. I may put some towels over the small wire. I did that to put their food and water on later to keep from making a total mess inside.

Hey to a fellow Mississippian!
I use something almost identical for chick brooder and raising quail...on the hardware cloth floor I put straw or horse hay and just rake it out when necessary and into the compost heap, works great. The heat lamp looks to close as Miss Lydia already stated, depends on the wattage. Put a thermometer under it for a bit and see what ya got. Rule of thumb I go by is directly under should be same as brooder for first few days then lift to decrease temp about 5 degrees a week until you get close to the ambient surrounding temp...about 6 weeks you should be able to shut her down. Only takes about 3 weeks for quail as they mature twice as fast as chickens. Good luck, nice work!

Back
Top Bottom