Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
cute! what breed is she?

She's either a white leghorn or a white star. Not sure really, she was a rescue from a farm where I basically got told to go into the pen and pick whatever chickens I wanted and put them in a box, lol. Most of them were isa browns but I was determined to grab a white one even though she was the flightiest :p

The chicks are 2nd generation mixtures. (pavlov+cream legbar mostly) I think the only chick she hatched that was hers is the white one, but it could also belong to the light sussex since their eggs look really similar.

I want to candle tomorrow (day 16) but I am scared for the eggs. They are so far along and I don't want to mess it up by candling.
I can do it during the day (been hot recently).
What do you think?

She's either a white leghorn or a white star. Not sure really, she was a rescue from a farm where I basically got told to go into the pen and pick whatever chickens I wanted and put them in a box, lol. Most of them were isa browns but I was determined to grab a white one even though she was the flightiest :p
I don't think she is either of those breeds. You can see some black feathers on her neck which makes me think she is some kind of light sussex cross. I am no expert but... Yeah

I don't think she is either of those breeds. You can see some black feathers on her neck which makes me think she is some kind of light sussex cross. I am no expert but... Yeah

yeah she has lots of random speckles of different colour that make her look permanently dirty. she's slightly grey-white even if she's had a bath. some of her feathers have a silvery-brown outline. and lots of black speckles on white feathers. nothing like the actual pattern of a light sussex though. i think she is just 'imperfect' :p

yeah she has lots of random speckles of different colour that make her look permanently dirty. she's slightly grey-white even if she's had a bath. some of her feathers have a silvery-brown outline. and lots of black speckles on white feathers. nothing like the actual pattern of a light sussex though. i think she is just 'imperfect' :p
well she is very beautiful and I am so happy for her and her babies!

20210602_110921_HDR.jpg
20210602_110933_HDR.jpg

Day 15!!! Getting close, lockdown is tomorrow

I want to candle tomorrow (day 16) but I am scared for the eggs. They are so far along and I don't want to mess it up by candling.
I can do it during the day (been hot recently).
What do you think?
From what I’ve read on BYC, it doesn’t hurt the eggs to candle them a bunch as long as you aren’t rough with them. But I’d be more concerned about disturbing the broody. I only candled when mom was off the nest. When was the last time?
One thing I read here about using incubators is that it’s okay turn them off and open them up each day to simulate mom being off the nest. Apparently this is beneficial.

From what I’ve read on BYC, it doesn’t hurt the eggs to candle them a bunch as long as you aren’t rough with them. But I’d be more concerned about disturbing the broody. I only candled when mom was off the nest. When was the last time?
One thing I read here about using incubators is that it’s okay turn them off and open them up each day to simulate mom being off the nest. Apparently this is beneficial.
I candled on day 7 and 11.
I wanted too candle tomorrow before lockdown starts just to check on them and see how they are doing (I am curious about what's going on in there).

Back
Top Bottom