Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
I know this guy that make his chickens hatch 2 sets of eggs before leaving the nest. After they hatch the first set he will take the chicks and give her fresh eggs to hatch and it always work. I take it as cruelty

If someone has a buisness selling chicks then that would be okay. but I think it's not fair to make mamma do all thet work for nothing

I don’t even own an incubator
She gotta finish her job
One year a hen abandoned her last egg even tho it had pipped! The deadline had passed, I think 3 days. I brought it inside and hatched it using a heating pad. Then mama wouldn’t accept it, she wanted to kill it! It was a bit of a hassle, having a single chick to raise, getting another to keep it company, and they both turned out to be cockerels!
That said, some hens would have accepted a baby in this type of situation, especially if you sneak it under her overnight in the dark.

Found Pippin this morning with tomato sauce all over her beak, I take it she liked the pasta.
she looked at me as if to say: "what you lookin' at? Momma gotta eat"

I know this guy that make his chickens hatch 2 sets of eggs before leaving the nest. After they hatch the first set he will take the chicks and give her fresh eggs to hatch and it always work. I take it as cruelty

...WHY though? Isn't the whole point of getting eggs hatched under a broody that the broody will raise the chicks so you don't have to? Hatching eggs under an incubator is far simpler and full-proof with the same result. It makes no sense.

I would agree that it is cruel too. 3 weeks of sitting and not eating (even if you try to feed the chicken at their nesting spot, they won't eat as much and still lose weight) has to be stressful for the chicken. And they are probably bored out of their minds.

Getting too ADHD while I wait...
so I drew pippin enjoying her pasta :D

1622869520753.png

Back
Top Bottom