Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
One of them is already a constant chirper, even while sleeping! (That is Little, hoping she's a she!)
I turned off the heat for mine for tonight, we’ll see how they fare in the morning. Their cave is a towel folded around a mylar sheet, so it’s self heating to a degree...

How’s chicken math working out for you now? Are they all still in the rabbit hutch???

I turned off the heat for mine for tonight, we’ll see how they fare in the morning. Their cave is a towel folded around a mylar sheet, so it’s self heating to a degree...

How’s chicken math working out for you now? Are they all still in the rabbit hutch???
So my big girls, 3 of them, are still in the very big bunny hutch.. the 4 chicks are in my brooder bunny hutch, but it is big enough to house whichever ones are girls (although realistically 2 max would be best.. i have a potential home for excess).. but that will be all for chicken math for now..

I am planning on moving to a chicken friendly area in the next few months, so i will build out a very large outdoor princess palace! My max will probably just be a few more.. Definitely need some frizzles.. maybe a tolbunt frizzle polish 😍 maybe a frizzle mille fleur cochin.. maybe a silkie..

Oh i was going to swap out the bulb.. but i just couldn't... one more toasty night!! Tomorrow is going to be 111° minimum.. I'm not going to pay to run ac and heat at the same time 😂

Look how cozy they look 🥺 im going to feel guilty turning off the heat.

20210803_211602.jpg

I am planning on moving to a chicken friendly area in the next few months,
Oh yay! I’m so happy for you <3 time to collect all the chickens!!!!

Look how cozy they look
Tomorrow is going to be 111° minimum..
What are you doing girl 😂

So, I learned a lot from observing my broody.

I used to think noisy chicks were normal. All that squabbling in the brooder bins at tsc and my first set of loud chatty chicks led me to believe so.

Until I saw my broody raise her clutch did I realize that chick have another happier quieter indoor voice. They were happy to explore in the cold environment, and happy to be warm and snuggly under mom :)

I don’t think I can ever go back to heat lamps again, Maybe if I used one over a cave in an isolated area of the brooder, and blocked it off via a partition or something... but definitely won’t expose the entire brooder to the lamp.

This time around, a little warm cave in the corner of the brooder did wonders for my current little ones. They are soooo quiet, sometimes too quiet, to the point that it makes me think something went wrong, lol

In my first brood when I used the lamps, the chicks would squawk their heads off if I ever turn off the light at night, not these current little fluff butts.

I turn the lights off at night and say good night and get cute little chirps in response <3

I think a lot of things we take as the norm due to parroted brooding practices may not necessarily be the healthiest for the chicks. To be honest, it probably won’t affect them in the long term, but a calmer brood keeps my stress levels down too!

Oh yay! I’m so happy for you <3 time to collect all the chickens!!!!

What are you doing girl 😂

So, I learned a lot from observing my broody.

I used to think noisy chicks were normal. All that squabbling in the brooder bins at tsc and my first set of loud chatty chicks led me to believe so.

Until I saw my broody raise her clutch did I realize that chick have another happier quieter indoor voice. They were happy to explore in the cold environment, and happy to be warm and snuggly under mom :)

I don’t think I can ever go back to heat lamps again, Maybe if I used one over a cave in an isolated area of the brooder, and blocked it off via a partition or something... but definitely won’t expose the entire brooder to the lamp.

This time around, a little warm cave in the corner of the brooder did wonders for my current little ones. They are soooo quiet, sometimes too quiet, to the point that it makes me think something went wrong, lol

In my first brood when I used the lamps, the chicks would squawk their heads off if I ever turn off the light at night, not these current little fluff butts.

I turn the lights off at night and say good night and get cute little chirps in response <3

I think a lot of things we take as the norm due to parroted brooding practices may not necessarily be the healthiest for the chicks. To be honest, it probably won’t affect them in the long term, but a calmer brood keeps my stress levels down too!
Well the lamp is at one end.. food and water at the other, about 4' away.. so they do wander around to the cool spots.. i think they are just a bit like me.. ac, flannel sheets, and socks.. so cozy 🐰

Ok. Tomorrow is the day. Ill switch them to a day time light, then shut it off before the sun starts going down so they can adjust to natural dusk. Ill put a hand towel in there so they can snuggle on it if they need to.

I also notice they wake up for night time snacky snacks (because they are so loud when they do) so i was worried about cutting them off from that all night. 🍿 🍬 🍫

Well the lamp is at one end.. food and water at the other, about 4' away.. so they do wander around to the cool spots.. i think they are just a bit like me.. ac, flannel sheets, and socks.. so cozy 🐰

Ok. Tomorrow is the day. Ill switch them to a day time light, then shut it off before the sun starts going down so they can adjust to natural dusk. Ill put a hand towel in there so they can snuggle on it if they need to.

I also notice they wake up for night time snacky snacks (because they are so loud when they do) so i was worried about cutting them off from that all night. 🍿 🍬 🍫
they are so spoiled - some one turn me into a chick and sneak me into your brooder please 🥺

they are so spoiled - some one turn me into a chick and sneak me into your brooder please 🥺
Here they are!! Two weeks old today. They survived with no heat lamp! Just a few minutes of crying. And they went right to sleep when i turned out the light, even though there was still some daylight making its way in. I'll get better pics soon... but the smallest is actually to the left closest to the camera.. based on size and stance, i think maybe it could be a girl, but nothing distinguishing on any of them yet. That one w the big poof standing tallbmakes me think little rooster tho.

20210804_152717.jpg 20210804_152725.jpg

One always has to poop while I'm taking a pic.

Here they are!! Two weeks old today. They survived with no heat lamp! Just a few minutes of crying. And they went right to sleep when i turned out the light, even though there was still some daylight making its way in. I'll get better pics soon... but the smallest is actually to the left closest to the camera.. based on size and stance, i think maybe it could be a girl, but nothing distinguishing on any of them yet. That one w the big poof standing tallbmakes me think little rooster tho.

View attachment 2786296View attachment 2786297

One always has to poop while I'm taking a pic.
Awww those little poufs <3

they’re pretty well feathered, they will be perfectly okay!

I don’t get any strong vibes about gender yet, polishes are also notoriously hard to sex as well right?

Back
Top Bottom