Broody hatch-a-long!!!!

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
Hello everyone, I am really excited to announce that one of my two broody hens is now on day three!!! Eda my new broody went broody on August 2 but she broke a few eggs so I had to replace some dirty ones. Sadly her brooding friend Susan broke every last one of her eggs and she got really dirty so she quit. Also could anyone give a guess at her breed, I'm guessing she's a splash Maran, but what's your guess? As of today she has six eggs!
PXL_20230805_174746396.MP.jpg

So just a little update, not much has been happening other than the fact that she broke and egg so we are down to five. I did candle the eggs, however I didn't see all that much vein growth. Hopefully they keep incubating well.
PXL_20230808_134740655.jpg

Last edited:
So I checked Eda today and I refilled her water as it was getting low. Then I offered her some food and she actually got out of her nest to eat. I then took the time to look at her eggs and I'm now realizing that she has had seven eggs this whole time. I know that she hasn't laid them while brooding as I candled them today. The extra eggs seemed to be only about a day or so behind the other eggs so I left them with her. I can gladly say she seems to be a very attentive mom to her eggs and I'm really hoping they all hatch! She is now on day 6-7 of her incubation!

So I checked her today and she had an egg out of her nest box! I don't know why or how, but I put it back on there and she slipped it right under her. Aldp all her eggs are around her but and one was behind her and in wondering if she's still turning them and if they are actually being kept warm?

Something horrible happened!!! Here nest was attacked by something! I literally came out to check on her and she was outside her nest box, there was egg shells everywhere, and there was a embryo on the ground. I will put photos down below. She only has two eggs left out of seven and one has some blood on it!
PXL_20230815_120732850.jpg
PXL_20230815_120710151.jpg
PXL_20230815_120647313.jpg
PXL_20230815_120612059.jpg

You should try to incubate them. But candle them first. Really sorry, hoping that the remaining hatch. What breed are they?
Well one is a pure breed light Sussex egg, and the other is a Light Sussex & French Cuckoo Maran mix. She actually has gotten back on her nest and I gently cleaned the wet yolk off the eggs with a towel but I didn't add water as that can affect the development of the embryo. Both of them are developing and I can see their air bubbles are intact but the rest is black with only little movement. I might also go to the feed store after the other eggs hatch. So she at least feels that she has something left. If the other two break I will make sure I give her some day old chicks. Would she get depression if they all break and I don't get her chicks? It's been so difficult to get a single hen to go broody and I'm just praying that I get a broody hen next spring.

Back
Top Bottom