Broody Hen Now Rejected by Flock

urbanfarmersCNA

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
South Carolina
We had our first broody hen. Let's call her "Mama". This has gone on for 2-3 months, and now it seems that one thing has led to another, and the flock has rejected her. That, or she's sick with something, I cannot figure this one out!

We did put her in a bucket of water and then subsequently in a dog cage inside the coop for a week to break her broodiness, but think we let it go on too long and now we've caused irreparable damage to her reputation with the flock.

• We didn't manage it well.
  • We kinda just let her be broody.
  • Well, after about a month, when it didn't quit, we tried the water bucket method.
    • That did not work.
  • So we did try a dog cage on 4x4s to get air flow under her, we did this for 1 week.
Health:
  • 2 months elapsed and she WAS STILL broody!
  • She spent all her days of summer in the nest box
  • We noticed that her comb had really shriveled down.
  • Then, due to staying inside the nest box so long, we believe she started to molt early due to lack of sunlight. She lost a lot of feathers and looked really bad. The rest of the flock (same age) has not started molting yet.

"Mama" Hen Behavior:
  • She is now very flighty around the others
  • She stays on a roost up away from them, or she will go in the coop and nest down in a corner.
  • She sprints past them to get to food or water, and then they peck her and she sprints around the run and back into the coop
  • She makes odd noises. She makes short "bup bup bup" sounds instead of the noises the other chickens make which sounds more like "burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp burrrrpppppp" almost like we owe them something!
  • She will sleep in the nest box if she can.

Flock Behavior:
  • I have observed most, if not all, of them pecking her and "putting her in her place" when she is near their food or whereever they are
  • They are all super healthy with beautiful feathers and bright red combs and wattles
  • They all make normal chicken sounds as they always have

"Mama" Behavior after Chicken Jail for 1 week:

• Now she does not appear to be making the "bup bup bup" noises, she's now making those "burrrrrrrrrrppppp burrrrrrppp" noises like the rest of the flock
  • She no longer wishes to sit on the eggs
  • She goes into the nest box to hide from the other hens, but she just stands there awkwardly, she doesn't sit on the eggs or have any interest in them
    • Example: The hens who want to lay eggs are waiting just outside the nest box, inside the coop, and "Mama' is in there hiding, but the other hens don't feel like they can go in and lay, but "Mama" doesn't feel safe to come out, so we have a stand off!
"Mama"'s Current Health:
  • She doesn't have watery eyes
  • She doesn't have any goopy stuff on her feathers as if she's been wiping her nose
  • She doesn't have any audible respiratory issues
  • I have not inspected her for mites, so I cannot rule that out, but the rest of the flock are fine and they've lived around her for 2-3 months like this
  • She's not sneezing at all
  • She did have molt, but I think she's finished with that...
  • Her comb and wattle are getting better, but still small and pale in comparison to her sisters

What the heck is going on guys? I am at a loss. I can't put the other 9 hens in jail. They seem to just be doing what is normal. "Mama" doesn't look like she is sick at all, but I don't know how to check for mites. I know that the flock will keep her away if she is sick.

Can we see pictures? Pictures can really help in seeing what can be the problem.

You can check for mites by picking through her feathers around her vent, or under her wings, especially at night.

I hope you can figure out whats wrong! Good luck! :hugs

well i can't say other than two months of broody has messed up her status in the flock and her head.
as for your chicken jail / broody jail, put it in the coop/run so its seen by all birds. it needs to be off the ground with a wire bottom so air can cool her butt. For every day on the nest two in the cooler. I have never had a chicken on the nest more than three days and in the cooler more than five.

well i can't say other than two months of broody has messed up her status in the flock and her head.
as for your chicken jail / broody jail, put it in the coop/run so its seen by all birds. it needs to be off the ground with a wire bottom so air can cool her butt. For every day on the nest two in the cooler. I have never had a chicken on the nest more than three days and in the cooler more than five.

Thanks David. I have her jail in the coop. When I put it in the run, the other hens surrounded her and pecked her through the cage, and she was jumping around hysterically, and couldn't get away, and they were all pecking her. So I moved the cage into the coop so that she'd at least have two walls against two of the cage walls where she could get away from them.

Get it off the ground so they can't get at her and air cools her bottom. HW cloth wire bottom of cage. No solid bottom.
you are the rooster so pinning a chicken to the ground for pecking at her sends a message. I have let it be known that i am giver of grain, taker of eggs, protector from coon, giver of raisins ... My cooler jail is 3 feet off the ground. Do you have a bunch of obstruction in your run so they can hide? if they can't see each other its hiding. old ice chests, platic buckets , planters wooden cable spools... break the line of sight.

Do you have a bunch of obstruction in your run so they can hide? if they can't see each other its hiding. old ice chests, platic buckets , planters wooden cable spools... break the line of sight.
x2 - if you don't have the run cluttered up, it makes it much harder on a low rank chicken to get around since they can't hide or jump on something to get out of the way.

My guess is she has to be reintegrated but as a solo bird, that can be pretty tough. Might consider fencing her in a safe area with your most mildest mannered bird so she can buddy up, and then reintegrating them as a pair?

As far as checking for mites, aart has a pretty basic write up here about how to check and what to look for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-pests.1493907/#post-24925447

We had our first broody hen. Let's call her "Mama". This has gone on for 2-3 months, and now it seems that one thing has led to another, and the flock has rejected her. That, or she's sick with something, I cannot figure this one out!

We did put her in a bucket of water and then subsequently in a dog cage inside the coop for a week to break her broodiness, but think we let it go on too long and now we've caused irreparable damage to her reputation with the flock.

• We didn't manage it well.
  • We kinda just let her be broody.
  • Well, after about a month, when it didn't quit, we tried the water bucket method.
    • That did not work.
  • So we did try a dog cage on 4x4s to get air flow under her, we did this for 1 week.
Health:
  • 2 months elapsed and she WAS STILL broody!
  • She spent all her days of summer in the nest box
  • We noticed that her comb had really shriveled down.
  • Then, due to staying inside the nest box so long, we believe she started to molt early due to lack of sunlight. She lost a lot of feathers and looked really bad. The rest of the flock (same age) has not started molting yet.

"Mama" Hen Behavior:
  • She is now very flighty around the others
  • She stays on a roost up away from them, or she will go in the coop and nest down in a corner.
  • She sprints past them to get to food or water, and then they peck her and she sprints around the run and back into the coop
  • She makes odd noises. She makes short "bup bup bup" sounds instead of the noises the other chickens make which sounds more like "burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp burrrrpppppp" almost like we owe them something!
  • She will sleep in the nest box if she can.

Flock Behavior:
  • I have observed most, if not all, of them pecking her and "putting her in her place" when she is near their food or whereever they are
  • They are all super healthy with beautiful feathers and bright red combs and wattles
  • They all make normal chicken sounds as they always have

"Mama" Behavior after Chicken Jail for 1 week:

• Now she does not appear to be making the "bup bup bup" noises, she's now making those "burrrrrrrrrrppppp burrrrrrppp" noises like the rest of the flock
  • She no longer wishes to sit on the eggs
  • She goes into the nest box to hide from the other hens, but she just stands there awkwardly, she doesn't sit on the eggs or have any interest in them
    • Example: The hens who want to lay eggs are waiting just outside the nest box, inside the coop, and "Mama' is in there hiding, but the other hens don't feel like they can go in and lay, but "Mama" doesn't feel safe to come out, so we have a stand off!
"Mama"'s Current Health:
  • She doesn't have watery eyes
  • She doesn't have any goopy stuff on her feathers as if she's been wiping her nose
  • She doesn't have any audible respiratory issues
  • I have not inspected her for mites, so I cannot rule that out, but the rest of the flock are fine and they've lived around her for 2-3 months like this
  • She's not sneezing at all
  • She did have molt, but I think she's finished with that...
  • Her comb and wattle are getting better, but still small and pale in comparison to her sisters

What the heck is going on guys? I am at a loss. I can't put the other 9 hens in jail. They seem to just be doing what is normal. "Mama" doesn't look like she is sick at all, but I don't know how to check for mites. I know that the flock will keep her away if she is sick.
did you ever figure out what to do? I’m dealing with the same issue currently. She’s been broody for about a week and other hens are rejecting her.

Back
Top Bottom