Broody Not Keeping All Eggs Underneath Her

Very common problem with silkies, especially those with large crests & beard.

Also very common in nests not deep enough(for any breed or mutt) and/or don't have suitable nest material, and also common with hens given/allowed to set on too many eggs. If you are seeing any egg, that is too many. Also have to make sure all eggs are actually directly under and touching her breast and sides below the feathers- eggs not under her body but covered by a wing are not actually being incubated, that is too many eggs too.

Also common with nests where other hens have access.

Solution: Isolate nest from all other birds, make sure nest is good- not flat and has material the hen can actually use to "weave" a rim around her. Limit number of eggs- a lot of people are too optimistic about how many eggs a hen can really cover.

To be fair, there are hens who are just better or worse about making sure eggs are under her.. still, with a nest deep enough and right materials, even the "lousy ones" will be able to bring off a decent or excellent hatch.

I thought I knew more than my broody. I second guessed her action of throwing out two eggs.

The eggs were no good. She was right. I was wrong.
hmm.png

Good news! i'm hearing chirping. i have a baby cam in the hutch and i've seen some movement and sounds. Went out to check and saw a little baby under her wing, still drying off. i was going to pull out any broken eggs, but think i should leave her be for the night. She seems to know what she's doing.

i think i probably did give her too many eggs. This cat box enclosure has kept them all under her, but probably not all in the ideal spot. i don't think i will do more than six eggs in the future with any of my silkies.

i'll post pictures after the babies dry off.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom