Broody or hiding from the rooster?

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
I have the strangest behavior from one of my hens. I only have 3 (Eenie, Meanie, and Sheba) l plus my rooster (Manny). He has been pretty amorous. One girl (Sheba) has bald spots over her wings and Eenie's back is looking pretty ragged. Eenie has taken to staying in the nest box all the time. I'm only getting 2 eggs a day, so I don't think she's laying. I thought she was broody but she lets the other girls crowd in and lay (they all lay in the same box) and pops right out of the box to grab a treat from me. However, when Manny comes in she let's put a huge cackle and rushes back to the box.

Is it possible she's just had enough of the rough rooster? Here she is looking a bit ragged a couple weeks ago.
20230601_093927.jpg

Here's Sheba's missing feathers.
20230601_093813.jpg

I have hens that didn't want to sleep in the coop because they had to pass the roo who waits there for them. They learned to go to "bed" early to avoid him. I put a saddle on one and now she hangs out with the roo all day.

I think that may be it. My husband told me she was on the roost this morning. Back to the nest when Manny came calling.

I never realized the lengths a hen may go to, to avoid the "attentions" of the rooster.

Okay...I could really use some guidance here. I know I've been a member 9 years, but I've only had chickens less than a year. I don't know what's what.

She's now 4 days without leaving the coop. She will get off the nest for a few to eat or if disturbed. I just don't know whether she's broody or not. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Okay...I could really use some guidance here. I know I've been a member 9 years, but I've only had chickens less than a year. I don't know what's what.

She's now 4 days without leaving the coop. She will get off the nest for a few to eat or if disturbed. I just don't know whether she's broody or not. Any ideas?

She's broody, that's the broody cluck. And the broody "turkey" puff.

Definitely broody!
There is no mistaking that cluck. If you can handle some chicks, give her some marked eggs to sit on, and check everyday for any new ones, and remove them.
If you don't want her to sit, you will want a broody breaker, like a dog crate or something, which you raise off the ground so air can get under her.

She's broody, that's the broody cluck. And the broody "turkey" puff.

Definitely broody!
There is no mistaking that cluck. If you can handle some chicks, give her some marked eggs to sit on, and check everyday for any new ones, and remove them.
If you don't want her to sit, you will want a broody breaker, like a dog crate or something, which you raise off the ground so air can get under her.
Thank you! I have held on to some eggs and I will let her hatch. I've got a huge coop for just 4 chickens. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom