My Bantam Cochin Has been sitting on a few eggs for the past 18 days. She has been doing great and has been a wonderful broody. I have put water and food in a small tray in her nesting box with her, so that she is able to take care of herself without having to go too far. I check on her every day, but today when I checked on her I noticed that her wattles, and comb were swollen & pale. She isn't acting different that usual. Is this a broody thing or could she be sick with something? This is my first broody, so I want to be sure!
Thanks!
It hasn't gotten below 35 at night here in Austin, so I don't believe it's too cold. Her nesting box is attached to the coop, and her hen friend sleeps next to her at night. So I think she is probably staying warm enough. She has her own water & food and I monitor that she is using it a little each day. I'm not sure on the BMs - she only leaves the nest for like 10 minutes a day to dust bathe!
There are 2 sores on her wattle & comb that almost look fluid filled. I wondered if this is just something that happens to broodies, or perhaps she has fowl pox
Oh ok, I hadn't thought about the possibility that the extra moisture could be affecting the temps and therefore frostbite. I will go remove the water and see how she heals. Thank you for that insight!
I was thinking I would do that before the chicks come, but here we are at day 18! So, I better get on that first thing in the morning. Thank you for the nudge!
It's possible that may be frostbite.
Hard to tell, those bubbles on the wattles are a bit interesting. I think I would be inclined to apply some Iodine to those, careful not to rub, just press it on with a qtip.
I would monitor close to see if more show up. IF it's Fowl Pox, monitor your chicks closely once they hatch.

I agree, I would move the food/water. She will get off the nest once a day and eat/drink/poop, etc. You may want to grab her when she's off the nest and inspect for lice/mites too. Just in case.

It's possible that may be frostbite.
Hard to tell, those bubbles on the wattles are a bit interesting. I think I would be inclined to apply some Iodine to those, careful not to rub, just press it on with a qtip.
I would monitor close to see if more show up. IF it's Fowl Pox, monitor your chicks closely once they hatch.

I agree, I would move the food/water. She will get off the nest once a day and eat/drink/poop, etc. You may want to grab her when she's off the nest and inspect for lice/mites too. Just in case.
Thank you! I will keep an eye on the chicks for sure! What should I look out for with the chicks? They should be coming in the next couple days so I want to make sure I’m ready!

Thank you! I will keep an eye on the chicks for sure! What should I look out for with the chicks? They should be coming in the next couple days so I want to make sure I’m ready!
Look for lesions like on your hen's wattles, but with chicks it would be around the eyes or on the beak. If you do notice lesions on the chicks, then I would
watch them closely to see if they are eating/drinking well and not having any trouble there, maybe even look inside their beaks a few times a week to make sure there's no evidence of wet Fowl Pox.

I'm not trying to scare you, it may not turn out to be anything and those lesions are exclusive to the broody and not affect the chicks at all. But...Fowl Pox is harder on chicks so just keep watch on them is all I'm saying.

Be sure to post some photos of them!:)

Look for lesions like on your hen's wattles, but with chicks it would be around the eyes or on the beak. If you do notice lesions on the chicks, then I would
watch them closely to see if they are eating/drinking well and not having any trouble there, maybe even look inside their beaks a few times a week to make sure there's no evidence of wet Fowl Pox.

I'm not trying to scare you, it may not turn out to be anything and those lesions are exclusive to the broody and not affect the chicks at all. But...Fowl Pox is harder on chicks so just keep watch on them is all I'm saying.

Be sure to post some photos of them!:)
Thank you for the tips! I will be on the lookout! And I will be sure to post pics!

Here are the first 2 chicks. Any coloring/pattern guesses?
E5B105DE-AE8D-4DB5-8BE1-24277B75F60D.jpeg
60E50F50-0D3B-468E-B986-D0BAC7BAEA58.jpeg
0CC95E84-2013-4FE5-A75A-9585EC44D5A2.jpeg
D8565730-27A2-4047-B796-A2BECFF9F96E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom