Brother's cat killed 5 birds; 5 others hurt

FowlLanguage

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Anchorage, AK
If it was anyone else's cat I would kill it. It is a bloodthirsty little rat, and now it knows that it can kill my birds and get away with it. I don't think I have ever wanted to kill an animal more- even when hunting. Some of the birds she killed were only a week old when I got them- some less. I had one of the hens living with me in my room for a couple weeks until it could live outside. One of the ducks was from my August hatch. I used to watch them jump on their momma and slide off her side. You don't know just how much they make your life better until they're gone.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

*raised from duckling/chick
~may not make it

Dead:
Cayuga (F?)
Pekin (F)
Pekin/Runner (too young to tell) *
Barred Rock (F) *
Golden Comet (F) *

Injured:
True Mallard (M) *
Mallard (M) ~
2 Pekin/Runner (too young to tell) *
Austrolorp or Jersey Giant (F)

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

My cat is the same way. She'd kill my chickens in a heartbeat. It's a constant struggle to keep her inside when she wants to get out.

Awww, little ducklings, too! We have an August duckling that I watch over, she's pretty big. I'm so glad I haven't caught any cats trying to catch any of the ducks where I live. Then again, the hawks take care of them.

Dog this time. I am down to 3 BRs, 3 EEs, 1 SLW, 1 AU or JG, 1 GC, 1 WPR, 1 mallard drake who may or may not make it, and 1 cayuga (don't know the gender) who is badly limping.

The coop was perfectly predator-proof until my stupid brother knocked the doors off their hinges and took an ice pick to the chicken wire.

He'll be 16 in a couple weeks. He loves those birds as much as I do- I just don't think he fully understood that ducks and chickens are quite defenseless. I think that he was under the impression that if they can't get out, nothing can get in.

Back
Top Bottom