Brown recluse bite! !??

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
[GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

Born on Easter 2017. Only one out of chicks with this issue. .

Attachments

• 20170528_211004.jpg
    20170528_211004.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170528_210959.jpg
    20170528_210959.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170528_210325.jpg
    20170528_210325.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 13
[GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

Born on Easter 2017. Only one out of chicks with this issue. .
Are you sure it's a brown recluse ? Caught early enough ice would have helped. Heavy antibiotics is the only way to treat it . Don't lance it ! I would soak the leg in a cold hydrogen peroxide soak . It might help .The problem is the age and the amount of of the tissue in then area of the bite . The actual amount of muscle in this area is small and has allowed the venom to move quickly through it . I think you have to make a choice here . I'm not sure a vet could help this and if one can it will be expensive.:fl

Do you have vet care available?

I have not seen this before, but it doesn't look good to me. It looks like the tissue is dying.

@casportpony @Eggcessive any thoughts?
The venom paralyzes the tissue and starts the decomposition process. it's amazing that such a small creature wields such deadly power . In humans the bite is extremely painful . The damage isolated to a small area but if untreated it can spread . I met a man that lost his leg to a spider bite .

I work at a 24 he animal emergency clinic. They, of course don't see poultry, but I had the night vet look at him, and he is pretty sure brown recluse bite. .

I work at a 24 he animal emergency clinic. They, of course don't see poultry, but I had the night vet look at him, and he is pretty sure brown recluse bite. .
Did he suggest a coarse of treatment? I never have much luck treating anything chicken . Seems like they all end up the same . I hope your luck is better than mine .

That looks horrible. We had a rescue opossum come in with a recluse bite a few years ago, it was a booger to treat, took forever to heal and left a nasty scar. It's hard to really tell from the pictures, but it looks like the tissue is necrotic. As BYC910 stated, at this stage a vet would be of little help, unfortunately and home treatment, I'm afraid, would yield little effect. In all honesty, it looks like a form of staph infection called Gangrenous Dermatitis. If that is indeed the case, euthanasia is the kindest recourse.

Back
Top Bottom