Budgie Breeding

My app doesn’t want me to reply…..but what I have observed is that when a female’s cere turns brown she is wanting to brood and willing to do anything to get into a near including killing the babies already hatched by another female!!
Yep, the cere also turns crusty and she gets broody and aggressive so no way annoy her:)!

there are 2 active nests currently. 1 belongs to my original momma. the other is occupied by one of the albinos (i think bumbo) bumbo has a bunch of eggs but really just started sitting and Bella was on at least 6 eggs but only 1 hatchling. the baby is now over a week old. i’m hoping that no others raid her nest like they have in the past. i’ve been tempted to take the lone baby and try to hand feed it.
Oh no only one hatchling? That could eventually result in splayed legs if the mum applies too much pressure. Keep an eye out for that.

Muddy, I thought with the hybrids that are produced, you can't always count on the cere color to tell you sex?
What are hybrids again? There can be carriers and splits but never heard a 'hybrid' before😳 Also splits or carriers dont have their sexing way changed. That only happens in some varieties like the rec pied where the male's cere stays pink forever

All females ragardless of mutations will get brown cere's when in breeding condition. Males can be trickier as some mutations keep a pink cere instead of maturing into a bright blue one, you just need to know what to look for
General rule of thumb of Sexing of budgies :
Males cere color- Royal Blue, Pink, Purple
Females cere color- White (generally), dark brown and crusty (only in breeding mood) and light blue or pink when very young.

Oh no only one hatchling? That could eventually result in splayed legs if the mum applies too much pressure. Keep an eye out for that.
It was my original females brood, luckily. Baby is doing amazing and is about 3ish weeks old now. She is very careful with baby and temps being what they are, a lot of supplemental heat has been unnecessary. She actually tolerates us moving her around to check on them and even handle the babies some when they get big enough.

It was my original females brood, luckily. Baby is doing amazing and is about 3ish weeks old now. She is very careful with baby and temps being what they are, a lot of supplemental heat has been unnecessary. She actually tolerates us moving her around to check on them and even handle the babies some when they get big enough.
Budgies normally dont need extra heat if there isnt a snowstorm going on outside. They actually can overheat. But seems like your fem is a good mum, so good for you. I had one good mum if I can remember in my 6 years of breeding, all others were kind of, lazy?

Back
Top Bottom