Buff Brahma...or Mille Fleur???

Lucretia

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
DFW area
Okay, I have a two month old bantam chick (purchased as "assorted feather-legged bantam") that I thought for the longest time was a Mille Fleur...but now someone said they thought she looked more like a Buff Brahma. So I appeal to ye gods of chicken identification -- what sort of chicken be this?

31488_bantams.jpg

Frontmost of the two bantams.

31488_chickies3.jpg

Again, she's the one in the front.

31488_chippy_milly.jpg

Most recent, with an EE pullet.

Whatever she is, I love her...she's a wild child and pretty as can be!
big_smile.png

We need a good foot shot! Mille fluer d'uccles have these funny feathers called "vulture hocks" on their feet that make them distinguishable from other breeds.
smile.png

What kind of comb does she have? A buff Brahma will have a pea comb and a D'Uccle will have a single comb. She doesn't have a mille fleur pattern (BTW, mille fleur is a color variety and not a breed). D'Uccles are also being sold in the buff colombian variety. I'm leaning toward buff Brahma though since I'm not seeing a beard/muffs on her.

Quote:
X2, bit if it's from a hatchery, who knows how it would look? I say we wait until we see the feet, them make the decision. But it looks like a brahma, you're right.
smile.png

If I'm remembering right, I don't think she has a pea comb. I know she had little poodle poofs around her legs. I just put Mille Fleur because I only saw that variety of d'Uccle on My Pet Chicken's bantam selection. So....that said....she may well be a Brahma! I'll still try to get a couple more shots though...comb and feet.

definitely a buff brahma. Notice the black around the neck- very much a brahma thing. I have mille fluers and i have other types of brahmas so i am quite familiar with characteristics of both

Quote:
That is a buff colombian pattern and there are other breeds that have that color pattern.

That color pattern AND fuzzy legs?

Back
Top Bottom