Buff Orpington and Barred Rock

CHICKENFARMER22

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
I have a question, my buff Orpington and barred rock hens are 6 months old. I haven't got an egg out of them as far as I know. Today my buff Orpington squared for my rooster so I don't know if that's a sign that she is going to lay or not? I want to here your opinion on when she or my barred rock should start laying. Thanks, in advance!

The squating means she is sexually matured so you can expect an egg soon. Most lay between five to seven months old (mine have all started at five/six month) some are later then others but it sounds like you should be getting an egg soon.

The squating means she is sexually matured so you can expect an egg soon. Most lay between five to seven months old (mine have all started at five/six month) some are later then others but it sounds like you should be getting an egg soon.

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. How long would you guess until I get an egg from her. I'm just curious because I have other laying hens in with them too and I don't know which egg is whose. I don't know if she is already laying or not. And will her first egg be really small that I'll be able to tell when she lays her first one?

The best way to tell is by her pelvic bone if its two finger apart she laying under that she not but it should be in the mext week or so. And her eggs could be small and could be big i cant say for sure since when they start the eggs can be odd.

Back
Top Bottom