Buff Orpington has never laid an egg

wrtbbm

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Texas
We got 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Delaware and 1 Buff Orpington pullet in Fall 2019. The Easter Eggers and the Delaware started laying around April while the Buff Orpington has sat in the nesting box occasionally but never laid. They all get layer feed, fruits, yoghurt and mealworm treats. I am wondering if she will ever lay or will be a free loader for the rest of her life? Has anyone else had a chicken that never laid?

I have a Welsummer who hasn't laid yet. Seems to be a slow bloomer. She is still a pullet, though, at 7.5 months old.

I also have a Buff Orpington that never really started laying. We got her April of 2020 as a chick and she laid 1 egg in the fall of 2020 (later than the other 2 we got her with though). Is it a coincidence that they are both Buffs?

This thread is where I am looking. I got two EE's last April at six weeks. One, Chaja Faijga, has been laying for about two months. The other, Regina, nothing. Regina does have one leg shorter than the other, so she skips around. Have to say it is very cute. She eats, drinks and poops, dirt bathes, preens, etc, so she does not appear to be in distress. Is it possible that she has a deformity that gets in the way of her laying? She is sweet and I don't have the notion of giving her away, or worse. I'm a typical "suburban chicken lady" and keep my girls their full lives. However, I'm really disappointed as I got these two to supplement the other girls who are no longer laying.

Regina does have one leg shorter than the other, so she skips around. Have to say it is very cute. She eats, drinks and poops, dirt bathes, preens, etc, so she does not appear to be in distress. Is it possible that she has a deformity that gets in the way of her laying?
The short leg could be indication that there's other physical issues with her, not enough to stop her from being a chicken, but enough to cause her to not lay.

Or... she could be extremely slow to mature, and with days shortening, will not commence onset of lay until after winter solstice has passed.

I have a black majesty marans? i think? I got her, and 9 other breeds from Rural King at the end of January, 2021. They are currently about 14 months old, and she still has never laid anything. She's never been sick, none of them really have, she acts normal, skittish, but healthy. I am wondering if she will ever lay. I'm wondering if I should get her an ultrasound or something to see if there's anything happening inside? I don't know what else to do, other than put her in a crock pot, or sell her. Our rooster even mounted her and seemed to "fertilize" her... so I'm at a total loss now, What's going on!?!?

Attachments

• 271749341_10158607271336818_4962940881516076256_n.jpg
    271749341_10158607271336818_4962940881516076256_n.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
I have a black majesty marans? i think? I got her, and 9 other breeds from Rural King at the end of January, 2021. They are currently about 14 months old, and she still has never laid anything. She's never been sick, none of them really have, she acts normal, skittish, but healthy. I am wondering if she will ever lay. I'm wondering if I should get her an ultrasound or something to see if there's anything happening inside? I don't know what else to do, other than put her in a crock pot, or sell her. Our rooster even mounted her and seemed to "fertilize" her... so I'm at a total loss now, What's going on!?!?
14 months but acting normal and healthy = she's a dud. If eggs are your priority you can eat her or rehome her strictly as a pet.

Back
Top Bottom