Pics
I don’t know if it’s the same with dogs, but with chickens, sometimes breeds need to be added to a breeding line to improve traits of a breed, like Barred plymouth rocks getting added to improve the barring, and things like that. The first few crosses are mixes- yes. But after many generations they become pure. It’s the same with creating new colors within a breed. Most breeds are mixed at some point.

Its not the same with dogs. The merle isn't improving the breed at all. Its only adding more health issues. With Dogs, there was a breed standard written up years ago, and every dog produced should conform to that standard. Unlike with chickens, if the parents of a dog weren't registered, you cannot show them, and you cannot register them. So if a dog had two registered parents, but wasn't registered itself, then had a litter, that litter is not allowed to be registered.

You may hate buff chickens, but do you hate these?
(Not my pictures)

Buff x black
CDB3FFE1-9513-4C96-AABB-720CF38927BD.jpeg
658DE755-CC2A-48F7-BCB8-18AA71569027.jpeg

Buff x blue
5A19E1A1-DBC0-4C06-A195-C313AFB6A0D5.jpeg
E6B2DAF6-C4FF-4051-BCB5-A43EEFA58BBC.jpeg

Buff x barred
DCEDD27C-9855-4762-AD60-6CE6BB4BA270.jpeg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-in-first-post-before-adding-content.629715/

:D

No, they are gorgeous. :love

I don’t hate all buff, for example I LOVE buff laced. It’s just solid buff (like buff Orps) or lots of buff without a different color to break it up )
(like buff brahmas).

Shame that other thread was locked. I wanted to say something there.

I think it's important that the negatives of breeds, especially of very popular ones whose unique needs are often glossed over because of their popularity, be aired in a way that they won't be drowned out as they would be within a 'breed lovers thread'. I also imagine that those in the breed lovers thread would not take kindly to hater posts added to their thread, so separate threads do make sense here.

Not necessarily saying that Buff Orpingtons have any negatives beyond our opinion-based ones when compared to other breeds, but there are breeds with genuine needs that may go beyond the norm for chickens, needs which probably should be considered before one goes out and gets birds of that breed. Silkies and Polish, for example. Talking about our experiences with those breeds, or really any breed, and why we don't like them or won't have them anymore can be good food for thought for those who are considering getting them. Banning all breed hate does not help anyone.

I do agree that it should stay within its own thread, though.

...I hope that's all right for me to say here since the other thread was closed. :oops:

Edited for some improper grammar, oops

Last edited:
No, they are gorgeous. :love

I don’t hate all buff, for example I LOVE buff laced. It’s just solid buff (like buff Orps) or lots of buff without a different color to break it up )
(like buff brahmas).
Yeah, I was referring to self buff (color of buff Orpingtons). Buff in brahmas, for instance, is buff columbian.

That’s the miracle of cross breeding. And why, in my opinion, the best looking chickens are the mutts. :D

Back
Top Bottom