Attachments

• IMG_8904.JPG
    IMG_8904.JPG
    596.7 KB · Views: 5
Oh yeah the hatchery birds definitely lay more than like show birds or whatever but I just had never heard of reproductive problems with the ā€œheritageā€ type birds, even hatchery versions, whereas I feel like practically every sex link dies at 2-3 from issues šŸ˜‚šŸ˜­ thatā€™s why I never got them.
WHAT ARE SAYING ABOUT AMY HUH?

Attachments

• Amy.JPG
    Amy.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 5
Sadly, most of the ones I owned died similarly, cancer or internal laying. I don't buy high-production hatchery strains like them, red sexlinks, or Leghorns anymore because of this. šŸ˜”
Exactly. Of course, it isnā€™t going to happen to every chicken, but with those breeds itā€™s so much more common.

Oh yeah the hatchery birds definitely lay more than like show birds or whatever but I just had never heard of reproductive problems with the ā€œheritageā€ type birds, even hatchery versions, whereas I feel like practically every sex link dies at 2-3 from issues šŸ˜‚šŸ˜­ thatā€™s why I never got them.
Arenā€™t heritage breeds most old breeds, though? Iā€™ve heard of reproductive problems with most of the common hatchery production breeds all over this forum and on other places online as well.

So they ARE forgivable, then. ;)

Hmmmm

Get silkied cochins? Or not commit an almost unforgivable sin?

Choose Which One GIF by GEICO

See above ā˜ļø

The two forgivable points are 1, because it's still a BC... and 2, because it's still round.

What about how sweet and cuddly they are? My smooth-feathered Cochins aren't nearly as sweet as my silkied Black line. :love Though I will be fair and note here that my silkied Reds are sketchy. šŸ¤£

But they all have those soft and fuzzy feathers that they keep all their lives rather than just having them as chicks :love And they have the benefit of having those soft, fuzzy feathers without being Silkies, so they have no crest, and therefore have actual faces! :love :love That's gotta be worth something, right?

I know, I know, it's the same tired thing I say every time, but... UGH, I just love them so much! šŸ„ŗ I was so afraid for years that I was the last one with them and they mean the world to me. The only reason I even have my smooth Cochin bantams was because I was preparing to outcross the silkieds just to keep my line going, I was so desperate not to let them die out. It truly breaks my heart that they aren't more popular, while frizzles are all over the place and their feathering is a lot less functional (and less pretty :oops: ) than silkied feathering. It's such an injustice. šŸ˜©

Sorry, I was not intending to go all soapbox there, but I guess I am passionate about my beloved munchkin fuzzies :gig Sad and Angry away at this post, I can take it. šŸ˜Š

Well they also say that Cornish X die at a few months old, sometimes almost a year.
My girl is 1 year and 4 months and very healthy.

Yeah, but if you delve beyond the people panicking about their accidental meat birds, it's pretty widely accepted that you can get Cornish X to live longer than a few months with special care. My experience with hatchery red sexlinks was quite the opposite. Aside from two that I lost to a predator before they even came into lay, and two that made it to ~5-6 years of age, every single one of my red sexlinks died at about 3 years of age from something related to their reproductive tract no matter what I did to try to avoid it or fix it. It happened with just a few of my hatchery Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks, but not with the same frequency or predictability. Those red sexlinks just are not meant to live long lives with their high egg production. šŸ™

Exactly. Of course, it isnā€™t going to happen to every chicken, but with those breeds itā€™s so much more common.

Arenā€™t heritage breeds most old breeds, though? Iā€™ve heard of reproductive problems with most of the common hatchery production breeds all over this forum and on other places online as well.
Old breeds ??? Technically the hatchery ones are the same breeds even if theyā€™re crap quality

Back
Top Bottom