Buff Orpington's First Day Out

They are fine.
They are just getting used to the change. They are certainly not freezing. My chickens were trucking all over the place in 20 F weather. It's not cold to them.
I kinda figured that and was just looking for that one reply to settle me hahaha. I'm just as nervous as when my oldest got her license lol

Young chicks often have a hard time going back into coop at night.
When its getting dark outside, they may instinctively want to go to the coop but it can be too dark for them to see well in there...unless there are lots of windows providing good natural lighting.
Looks like you have one of those tiny prefabs, not many windows usually.
A battery operated puck light can be placed in coop close to dusk,
it will greatly help to draw them in the the coop,
then you can turn it off when you lock up after dark.
Some chicks will need weeks to go into coop without assistance,
others may pick it up after just a day or two.

You should have some happy lady's over there with that setup. I agree its all new to them. It'll take alittle to warm up to new surroundings. Only thing I would say is if you want them to enter and exit via the run just use that area. Leave it open and walk away. By opening the side door you may be starting a habit which you may not want to always do. They will come out eventually little by little. Also once your new coop is built I would save your existing one as it will be great if you ever need to separate a bird for any reason or to quarantine new birds you may be bringing in, just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom