BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Please post all bugs and issues here, but PLEASE do the following:

First, look through this thread to see if your issue has already been reported!

If it hasn’t been reported, then we need VERY specific details so we can reproduce the problem and find a solution. Saying, “I can’t login” or “I got an error” or “I can’t upload pictures” will not be enough information for us to help you.

Here are the absolutely required questions we need you to answer if you are having problems on the site:

• What happened that you didn’t expect, or didn’t happen that you expected?
• What is the URL of the page where you had a problem and/or saw an error?
• Did you receive any error messages? If yes, what were they? Please copy and paste the entire message, screenshots are best
• What were the exact steps you took before having problems? Please be as specific as possible so we reproduce exactly what you did.

Once you have answers to those 4 questions, please reply to this thread with your specific details.

Known Issues / Bugs:

1. Reports of slow performance. Note: Make sure you're running the newest version of your browser. Reports are that the site functions best in FireFox 8 and above, and Chrome 16.
  2. If you are MISSING threads, pages, posts, or pictures, reply with specific details on what exactly is missing and where you expect it to be (which page, forum, section, etc.).
  3. Some users are seeing deleted PMs: Very odd, and the engineers are looking into it!
  4. Access to the BST section giving some a "Private" error. Looking into it.
  5. Avatars are "fuzzy" - We increased the avatar size form 80 pixels to 120 pixels, so your smaller avatars might look blurry. Upload a new one and it should be clear.
  6. Avatars or signatures not transferred: Looking into this. You can go into your profile to update them.
  7. Not getting email notifications: double check your subscription settings in your profile. Subscription settings should have been transferred over.
  8. Reports of being logged in, but then getting logged out: Looking into it. Try leaving the site, deleting your internet cache of files, and come back to the site.
  9. Spell check not working - see the FAQ's here.
  10. Reports of missing images, broken links, etc. please post a link to where you see these with details on exactly what you see or don't see.
  11. Search Index isn't complete - Known issue, indexer has a lot of posts to index, we'll let you know when it is complete.
  12. Duplicate smilies, two of each:
    smile.png
    sad.png
    big_smile.png

Please Note:

1) This thread is not the place to post if you do or don't like the new site... those can go in the Random Ramblings section or this thread. Any posts that are not directly related to bugs and have detailed errors / issues, we'll move them to a different, more appropriate thread so we can keep this thread specific, on topic, and uncluttered.

2) If we see duplicate posts on the same issue we may remove them in an effort to keep this thread clean and uncluttered.

Last edited:
Slow? -- slow doesn't describe it... "reports of slow performance". I feel like I have dial-up again! I have all the latest updates, newest IE.... I simply cannot search or surf this web site anymore. It has become so slow that I click on something and leave the computer. I am not finding results when I search a problem... there is so little description on each that I have to click on it to find out if it applies, and then, leave the computer for each and every post to load. I just can't enjoy or successfully use this site anymore.
If the problem were solvable, it would be solved by now, IMO. Or, something definitive would be posted to state: "While we are aware of the extreme slowness of the site, we believe we have found the problem and are working to fix it and expect it will be resolved by ... "
Of course, the site is so slow that I can't read the posts about problems, or the answers to the posts.. can't navigate the site at all... or only minimally, and it is no pleasure anymore.
Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. And, it's not about traffic, or time of day.
I do hope problems are resolved soon.. I will try back in a week or so.. for now, I'm done.. can't do it. Too hard, too slow, too complicated, no longer a pleasure.
I did read this was tested and the bugs were worked out BEFORE it was put into full operation? Really??
Sorry, I have been trying to find some answers here today and this is so frustrating..
barnie.gif

I am right there with you. I just don't know anymore...............

Last edited:
Hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the stuff on the right is STILL making my computer VERRRRY SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW to load a page --- any page!!

I do NOT mind the ads and reviews on the right side of the page ---- it is just that the page load time is frankly a minute or longer in many cases!!!!!

With the old format, my browser had the ads in the cache so that they loaded quickly after the first viewing. Not this time. The ads load new EACH time, which makes it VERY SLOOOOWWWWW EACH TIME!!!!!

It is like pulling teeth to browse posts and read casually. Regular pictures that ppl post up are loading fine, but the toolbar on the right hangs the page every time!!!

I really believe there was a _radical_ lack of consideration and ARROGANCE displayed by management with this change. No one ever polled members as to what we wanted or asked whether or not fast page load times were important.

Yes, you needed a bigger server. Cool. Then upgrade hardware to suit current traffic levels..

Yes, you needed some upgrades. OK - then make limited upgrades that are compatible with older computers and slower rural connections!!!!!

Your client base is not office workers in corporate office parks with high-speed connections and the latest computers. Many of us have older computers and lack the funds or desire to continuously upgrade them to suit OTHERS" technologocial whims!!!!

I get the feeling that quite a few peeps have already LEFT the site (because the pages WON"T load on their machines).

And, those of us with slightly better equipment but still not brand new $1500 computers who are expreiencing extremely SLOOOOOOWWWWWWW page load times have just about HAD IT!!!

So long..........
Seriously?

First off, we are well aware of the speed issues members are having. How many times can we say it's TOP priority? Try playing with your account details, you may be able to turn off the carousel on the home page (not sure if everyone has this option or not). It may help with loading pages.

As for the part in red above, this change was considered and planned for almost a year. So for you to say there was a lack of consideration for members is completely off base. Nifty has gone through a TON of work to make this move possible, and as easy on our members as possible. This move was necessary and he chose the best option out there. There have been many requests over the years for features that are now available here - so member requests were certainly taken into consideration.

Most of us moderators are on older computers with slow internet and are not experiencing slow page loads. It's difficult to track down whether it's computer related or site related.

Many of us moderators have been on BYC as long or longer than you would put into a job in the past week. Most of us haven't even had time to talk chicken, it's just about fielding questions and trying to help members through learning the new system.

Last edited:
I'm not able to see any of the smiley's in anybodys posts. Where the smiley should be it just shows a small white box with a red x in it. Is this a problem other people are having or is it an issue with my computer?

A few important items:

1. Make sure to read through the site FAQ's, the BYC Conversion FAQ's, this bug thread, etc. to see if your question has been posted.
Is it possible to make a master list of reported bugs, ordered by three categories:
  • Reported
  • Researching
  • Fixed

And post that as a sticky; this thread is already almost 100 posts long, so people won't do well at searching to see if it's been reported yet. If there is just one post to look at it to see if its been reported yet, it will be easier to keep this clean and orderly.

Back
Top Bottom