kirty

Hatching
Mar 21, 2020
Hi, my boyfriend and I are starting a chicken coop this year and are looking for a coop lot or prebuilt. I grew up raising chickens in a coop but it was already there when we moved to that property and was quite large.
We would like a coop that can hold 8-10 chickens. Right now we’ve got 6 chicks but would like a larger to coop to be able to keep more in the future.
I am wondering if there are any good kits that we can buy that will be big enough at least for 6 chickens but everything we find online is just so small and doesn’t give us much wiggle room. We will build it ourselves if we have to, can anybody tell me if there are any good options to buy rather then build?

Hi, my boyfriend and I are starting a chicken coop this year and are looking for a coop lot or prebuilt. I grew up raising chickens in a coop but it was already there when we moved to that property and was quite large.
We would like a coop that can hold 8-10 chickens. Right now we’ve got 6 chicks but would like a larger to coop to be able to keep more in the future.
I am wondering if there are any good kits that we can buy that will be big enough at least for 6 chickens but everything we find online is just so small and doesn’t give us much wiggle room. We will build it ourselves if we have to, can anybody tell me if there are any good options to buy rather then build?
Yes. You can either build a basic shed and modify it as you go along to install windows, etc. or buy a shed kit and do the same.
I modified this shed:
front demo.jpg

Into this coop in about 7 weeks.
cover image.jpg

If you let us know where you are - state, area - that will help us to help you figure it out.

I am a huge fan of CP hooped coops. So many options, so many ways to utilize and generally easy to build (I've done a lot of ours completely by myself, 50 + "fluffy" & out of shape, or with one other person at a time helping). They can be put on a wood base (permanent or portable), a cement foundation, over the top of pallets, set between T-posts to hold. They can be expanded. 8x8' feet (2 CP - approx $22 here in NC at TSC) will hold 16 chickens (at the max # w/ bare minimum of spacing 4'/bird). They can easily have runs attached - built the same way or differently. Variety of roof styles and wire can be used - depending on your predator load.

Some ideas from the BYC Coops sections. Here is the list. These are the ones in the medium coops area -

Ms Biddy's CP coop
Motel Chix - Blooie's WY run
Pyxi's Hoop Coop
Dutch Hollow Hoop coop
BobDBirdDogs Coop
Armorfirelady's Fire Chickens Hoop Coop
3 B's Chicken Shack 1 & 2
Kugler Cluck House - hoop coop
Egg Shaped Hoop Coop
My Cattle Panel Hoop Coop
The Hoop Coop

Here is one in the Large Coops -

Permanent Hoop Coop Guide

Tractors

Aart's Hoop Coop/Chicken tractor
Hoop Tractor "

and here are some of mine - not quite as nice, but workable for us!

Coops, Cattle Panel and Sheds

Tonya - don't know if I've told you - that is such an awesome re-build you did.

I want planters on all my hoop coops - like yours!! At this time, that might be one of the best Ideas I've ever had, LOL!!

I would suggest to do some sort of shed. Whatever you do make it quite a bit bigger than you think you will ever need it to be. Chicken math. That's all Im saying.

Tonya - don't know if I've told you - that is such an awesome re-build you did.

I want planters on all my hoop coops - like yours!! At this time, that might be one of the best Ideas I've ever had, LOL!!
The planters were discovered over the winter by the flock and they have shredded the liners. I will be installing a wire fence shield around them before planting them this spring.
IMG_20200309_105714564.jpg

IMG_20200309_105412273.jpg

Plant trees and shrubs for summer shade and winter wind protection, and consider rocks around them to protect the roots from digging chickens..Planter boxes? High maintenance, and good luck keeping chickens out of them!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom