Bumble foot surgery FAIL

My vet said surgery can worsen bumblefoot. I have a hen who has lived for three years with bumblefoot. She's my sweetest cuddle bug.

What I suggest is trying Baytril (Enrofloxacin). You can actually double the recommended dosage. It's effective against gram-positive bacteria strains, including Staph (bumblefoot). Some birds are very responsive to this medicine. I've successfully treated bumblefoot in two different birds using only Baytril. However my poor Burrito has never responded to it. I had, unfortunately, had her bumblefoot surgically removed after being told by one vet it isn't effective. In this isolated case, the vet's opinion turned out to be accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_5438.jpg
    IMG_5438.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 11
My chickens have had very slight bumblefoot and I was able to get them controlled by soaking and keeping their infected foot slathered with triple antibiotic ointment and wrapped at all times and picking out the scabs/pus that formed. Are your birds having trouble getting around?
yes the foot is hot and she has a bad limp

Would you guys recommend Tricide Neo foot soaks 2x/day with indoor cage rest AND Baytril (enrofloxacin powder 20%) combined with continuing to massage the feet, maybe some more puss comes out and i can reapply Neosporin. Or maybe just tricide or just the baytril? Maybe i am able to tweeze out the smaller scab on the foot I didn't work on while doing all the foot soaks. Thoughts on this? This chicken is also pretty fat (also lays double yolkers 106+ grams) maybe i should cut back on treats (I fed veg/ fruit scraps/ bread ends and they free range on my acre all day. THANKS for all the advice! I'm still calling vets and asking around local groups, no luck yet.

Would you guys recommend Tricide Neo foot soaks 2x/day with indoor cage rest AND Baytril (enrofloxacin powder 20%) combined with continuing to massage the feet, maybe some more puss comes out and i can reapply Neosporin. Or maybe just tricide or just the baytril? Maybe i am able to tweeze out the smaller scab on the foot I didn't work on while doing all the foot soaks. Thoughts on this? This chicken is also pretty fat (also lays double yolkers 106+ grams) maybe i should cut back on treats (I fed veg/ fruit scraps/ bread ends and they free range on my acre all day. THANKS for all the advice! I'm still calling vets and asking around local groups, no luck yet.
I recommend all of the above. I have done all of the above, BUT I have a busy homestead so I have also just done Baytril treatments. I think it is certainly helpful to do a little "extra".

I haven't used the tricide neo but I tried to find it at an affordable price without luck. I've read a lot of promising information about it.
As far as her being "pretty fat" it is a wise move to reduce anything she's eating that's not her balanced and complete feed, especially whenever she's going through something that requires her body to fight. You want her immune system to be working the best it can. Anything she's eating that's not her complete and balanced feed is taking away from her ideal diet that's formulated to keep her healthy. Of course this is my personal opinion, so I imagine some may disagree. We all do the best we can with what works for us.
I wish you and your flock the very best

If there is any open wound, abrasion, or anything like that on the foot, I would keep the foot bandaged up to avoid any other possible complications. Whatever you decide to do, I would be sure to keep the foot as clean as possible and wrapped up to avoid debris, bacteria, etc from entering the foot.

Back
Top Bottom