Bumblefoot??? Can’t see vet please help

Jijismomanddad

Hatching
Dec 16, 2021
I have a chicken I’ve had since June of this year. She’s my absolute baby and I really don’t want her to go through this pain/die but vet is just not an option in our area. I’m pretty sure this is bumblefoot but still not completely sure. (Pictures attached) Any advice on care or any stories of people who’ve treated their chickens with bumblefoot at all would be helpful. Especially when it comes to recommended antibiotics or medicines that I could get in store without prescription.

I did end up stopping the surgery mid way. I did make it to the hard part but my knife wasn’t sharp enough to get it out and she was in pain and I felt extremely bad and like I was causing her more unnecessary harm.

(Cut is from me, prior she had no scab of any kind just swollen area on foot pad. I can’t afford vet so I attempted surgery myself and that didn’t go as planned and I don’t want to put my girl through anymore pain, any advice helps)

1st after I cut a tiny bit to see if there was any pus
2nd is after attempted surgery at home (day after)

54915652-A3BF-48FC-BA09-3AF07D7EDC2D.jpeg

0977B5BE-655F-4F56-B202-A0AD0A461A09.jpeg

42B5938A-A89C-40DA-8F57-BB62BB23EA05.png

Last edited:
I probably would not have cut into the footpad without a scab or cut present. There may be increased swelling from the surgery. I would get some betadine or clear iodine and mix with a little sugar, and apply that to the footpad with gauze and apply vet wrap strips for a dressing. Leave it on for 3 days. Be careful that vet wrap does not get too tight and cut off circulation. An alternative would be to coat with plain Neosporin and gauze, and then vet wrap strips. You can change it every couple of days. It may take some time to heal and for swelling to go down.

I probably would not have cut into the footpad without a scab or cut present. There may be increased swelling from the surgery. I would get some betadine or clear iodine and mix with a little sugar, and apply that to the footpad with gauze and apply vet wrap strips for a dressing. Leave it on for 3 days. Be careful that vet wrap does not get too tight and cut off circulation. An alternative would be to coat with plain Neosporin and gauze, and then vet wrap strips. You can change it every couple of days. It may take some time to heal and for swelling to go down.
What does sugar do?? That’s interesting I’ve heard of that before but not sure it’s purpose. Thanks for the reply :))

Back
Top Bottom